Thursday, May 2, 2013

a new and different layer cake... and a party!

My mom sent me a recipe for a colorful layered cake; you pour a thin layer of batter into the pan and broil until golden and just starting to brown, then you add the next layer and broil, etc....here is a similar recipe. What fun, and you can imagine the many possibilities! It is a little labor intensive- I was laughing to myself as I waited by the broiler, watching the batter carefully so it wouldn't burn. I mean, the cake was good, but it was just as good as a regular cake...its the artistic possibilies and the hope and joy you feel as you make the first cut to see the stripes of color.....makes it all worth it! 



We are on our way tomorrow to a book signing! This awesome book (and I mean it, it is a really good book with gorgeous pictures....someone in our family is always flipping through and reading) was written by Dave's sister, Barb! That makes us famous by association, right?? 

I'll take lots of pictures!!! Its sure to be a great party :) We are so happy for Barb and impressed with the quality and creativity of her first book.

3 comments:

gailsgarden said...

The book looks very interesting. What an accomplishment!

I thought the cake would taste different being made like that...

gailsgarden said...

The book looks very interesting. What an accomplishment!

I thought the cake would taste different being made like that...

Connie said...

Wow, I have never seen or heard of a boiler cake . . . I would be sure to burn a layer . . . I just know that I would :)