Thursday, October 25, 2012

books + painting {2 of life's great joys}

This has been fun. We started the book wall a little more than a month ago. It's a good reminder of the  books we've read.

So far our favorite chapter book read-alouds of this year:

Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner (keep the kleenex handy)
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne (adventure! romance!)
and (thanks, Mom) The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White (same author as Charlotte's Web). We adore The Trumpet of the Swan.

We just started Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink. I'll let you know what we think- so far we like it.

Just one more: I read this first- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart and loved it! I am trying to get Dave to read it, but meanwhile the boys have read and enjoyed it too.

I love everything about this picture.

Let's start with Sadie: her pensive little gaze out the window. So typical of a dog or child, "no, mom, I will not look at you for the picture." Her little tucked under paws. Her floofy hair :) Her entitlement to the comfiest spot in the room.

Then the kids: a rare and beautiful moment of sibling harmony and contentment as they paint their pots....thank You, God, for this moment of beauty and peace! Thank You! Help me to remember it and to take each other moment (beautiful or not) and be just as thankful.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Love your book wall! Great idea. Wish I had thought of that when my kids were little. :)

Kellie said...

Awesome idea! If your kids love to read... they can do just about anything! Bravo Homeschool Mom!

Jennifer said...

cool idea!

gailsgarden said...

I'm so glad you liked The Trumpet...
Caddie Woodlawn was one of my all time favs, especially the cousin with all the buttons on her dress! I just wrote down the Benedict Soc book to try. You will like Mr. Bowditch too!

Lydia said...

We love all those books too! Kimberly and I read Trumpet of the Swan for the first time shortly after Lauren was born, it will be forever one of my favorites...every special-needs being has a special place in this world:)













Elizabeth - Dream Painters said...

Very cute pots, and love your book wall idea! :)Elizabeth