Tuesday, March 20, 2012

doughnuts + more changes in the kitchen

We made doughnuts the other day.


Just used a basic recipe from Better Homes & Gardens. They were really good, though- with a bit of cinnamon in the batter....I ate mine totally plain and it was great. But the kids (and Dave) liked theirs with frosting.


There is a reason we made the doughnuts- it was a purely educational exercise.



See! I told you it was educational. We were reading Homer Price, and you know that chapter where the doughnut machine gets jammed and keeps making doughnut after doughnut?? How could we not make doughnuts?!? Just reinforcing the literature.


All gone :)

Oh yes, the kitchen......



I completely blame it on Spring. Spray painted the green chairs....then I decided to put a few leaves in the table, add the orange chair, take out the book shelf, take off the red curtains, add some plants to the table, put some plates on the wall, take the paper lanterns off the ceiling and hang them in the window...it all happened in one crazy day.


It definitely feels like Spring in here now!


Very bright and light and springish :) Although, I am on the lookout for fabric for the front windows...something flowery and light.


The sun is shining! The doors are open, and we are all wearing green :)

9 comments:

Grompy said...

Ohhhhh, I loved reading Homer Price. It is spring in Wisconsin, too. We've had high 70's. Yippee, no snow now. Auntie Cheryl

Kellie said...

Homemade donuts... the best! We've been making homemade waffles - YUM! I love your cheery yellow curtains! Your kitchen (and family) are definitely ready for spring! You've motivated me!

Debby said...

Yummy donuts. You have to be the most fun teacher.
I always love your colors. Love that big table.

Sue said...

I must say Homer Price is one of my all time favorite books to read to my kindergarten classes. I too am in WI were it feels more like summer or a very warm spring. Can't believe all my daffodils are blooming this early. I brightened up my kitchen curtains by using old vintage printed floral table cloths, and hung a bunting of seed packages in my windows to make it look like spring inside. I love your plates on the wall, need to find a spot to do that. Right now I use my collection of plates outside as garden border for my flower beds.

Gini Mincy said...

Love the new look in the kitchen -- can't wait to see what you do with the front window!

Lydia said...

Always love your kitchen. Just painted all my kitchen chairs- each one a different beachy color- blues, greens, yellow, ivory. I love it.

sweet and lovely crafts said...

Your kitchen makes me happy. I love all of the colours, and I LOVE the plates on the wall. They look fantastic.

Priscilla said...

The kitchen/dining room look wonderful. I LOVE red and the red cupboards are FABULOUS.

I also am a huge "Homer Price" fan and it has made me so happy to turn kids onto it this year. In fact I recommended it to a 3rd grade teacher as a wonderful classroom read aloud. The kids LOVE IT. "Homer Price" and "Tales from Centerburg" are timeless books!! I hope that you were able to find a diamond ring in your doughnuts:-)

Heather said...

Love the plate arrangement and all other changes! Fresh and FUN!