Wednesday, January 11, 2012

goals for 2012 * anthro painted window * and a date

Dave and I got to go on a date this past Saturday. We had some gift cards to spend and we needed to get out and talk about our plans and goals for 2012. We had a sweet time together. I thank God everyday for this man.


I do have some goals for this year. I already told you about the first one:

[1] Romans 12 for 2012! The kids and I have started memorizing it- now the hard part...putting it into practice...

[2] Couch to 5K! Have you heard of this? I got an app for my phone that allows me to listen to music while I walk/run- and I will get notified when I need to switch from running to walking...it gradually gets you from running for about 40 seconds at a time--to completely running 3 miles! I love it so far- I'm into my second week. Here is an excerpt from the website:

Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.

You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.

My goal is to run a 5k with Dave this Spring. This is huge because, a) I have not run a 5k since college and, b) I hated running even then when I was in shape...but I am optimistic and life is too short not to run a race with my husband, you know?!


Loved the Anthropologie windows! ((excuse me while I go paint mine...))

Alright- so we have the scripture memorization goal, and the running (jogging) goal...now for the parenting goal:

[3] Chill out! This one takes a little explaining. I want to still uphold the expectations that we have for our children- but, when they mess up, make a mistake, or just flat out rebel; I want to react in a loving way, firm but kind. Showing that no matter what, my feelings for them never change. That I understand and love them and make many ((many)) mistakes myself, and struggle with sins every day- and we will have to deal with it....but that it is not the end of the world.

I struggle with this one- maybe just with my body language- when the kids start fighting- I tend to show them how annoying this is to me- what an interference that is to my day. And this should not be the case at all! They are my joy- it is my privilege to nurture and train them every day....sometimes I act as if I am surprised that they would do such a thing (whatever that childish and naughty behavior may be) - when the reality is that we all mess up every single day (hourly) and God is so loving and patient and forgiving to us. I am praying to react in a loving and forgiving and understanding way.


[4] Study the Bible more intensely..have a plan, use books, concordances, whatever it takes to dig in there and get more and spend more quality time. Right now I am using a Beth Moore study on David. I am also reading (still) The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer, and Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

There are lots more I could add to this list--but I really want to focus on these 4 things; Romans 12, running, responding in love (this could go back to Romans 12 too!), and studying the Bible.

Tell me what you have planned for this year, I would love to know- or, if you have posted about it- put a link in the comment section.

8 comments:

Charlotte said...

I've looked at the couch to 5k program before but never really tried it because it seemed too difficult to track. I never even thought to looks for a phone app! I will have to check it out. A friend has been coming over so we can play Dance Central, which is more of a workout than I've gotten in years, so hopefully I can keep heading the right direction.

This year we are mostly working on making sure our daily actions reflect our overall goals. No spending on extraneous things, etc. Also, trying to get the house cleaned out of extra stuff we don't need. Simplify!

Kellie said...

Bravo on the goals! And what a great way to start the year... on a date with your sweetheart! http://smockedbydesign.blogspot.com/2012/01/12-goals-for-2012.html

Jennifer said...

I've done the Beth Moore David study before:). Good for you for running. I am not sure I will ever be at the point to run with Jack. I guess I'll let Josh take my place when there are 1 mile runs. I don't think he do a 5k with Jack yet.

Debby said...

You sre such a good mommy. You and your hubby look thinner. Not that you every looked the opposite. I like your hair long.
My goal are to move more and accomplish more.
Happy New Year.

Kristi said...

I love your blog!! I've been following you for about a year and you have inspired me so much! :)
I'm a stay at home Mom to 5 children, two are in school.
My goals for the new year are to
let go: of wanting the house to be clean all the time, second guessing myself and stress! Embrace: my life, teaching the kids the Word even though it's sometimes frustrating when they act silly or uninterested lol, get out more and pray! Love your goals!!

mollie's mom said...

Totally off subject but look at the polka dot lap desk I saw at Ikea yesterday... http://madebymolliesmom.blogspot.com/2012/01/ikea-love.html
you will love it :)
marcie@madebymolliesmom

Priscilla said...

Sara, you are an inspiration! I love what you say about reacting to your kiddos in a loving, forgiving and understanding way. I have been practicing that with our two sweet but wayward daughters & God is working in their hearts. He is so patient with us:-) Even when we go our own way, he gently corrects us and forgives us when we turn back to him. Praise His name!!

Kelli said...

HI! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Great list...I love Beth Moore Studies, I really should start one up, they are always so inspiring. :) I could NEVER do the running, but I'm in awe of you for doing it! :)