Wednesday, September 28, 2011

owls, love, and the art*house tested toy award goes to...

I saw the owl art project idea here. See, I just steal everyone else's good ideas :) But- in typical Sara fashion, our owls turned out a little mis-proportioned and funky.


The leaves are my favorite part- that and when we used purple background paper and decided the paper needed to be black, and we colored the background with black crayon- I liked that effect too.



The kids decided Mr Robot-man needed some friends so we put a few owls to roost here.

(by the way, mr robot man is greatly loved and adored in our classroom. Everyone has gotten to pick a prize on Fridays and his head has kept us supplied with fresh pencils now for 6 weeks. The favorite prizes have been: packs of gum, bouncy balls, and punch balloons)


Then I uprooted the one owl and took her to stay in the kitchen for awhile since we had an empty spot on the wall.


Dear classroom, How I love you, let me count the ways! I love the space to spread out- to tape our posters, maps, and signs to every available spot. I love the room to put piles of work here and there. We know when we finish a pile we have accomplished something! I love that we can display our books and look at them each day (which book was set in Africa? Which character lives in Spain?) I love that I found a huge map of the US with blank spots to write in each family member's name on the state where they were born.

..............................................................

Ok, now for another art/love story (and love/love story)
Dave and I got to go to a couples' retreat this past weekend. The love story part is that we got to spend time on our relationship....with a focus on God and what He wants for our marriage.
The art/love story part comes in when we stopped at some cute little shops on the way home. One was this completely adorable toy store. Set up in a rambling old building- there were rooms crammed full of every single toy, game, and craft kit imaginable.


Long story short- we got the kids a spirograph! Oh my dear- this is the ticket to eternal happiness. All 3 kids have used that kit for hours- I could use that thing for hours if they would let me!


Best use of $15. The board is magnetic- so the pieces don't slip.


10 comments:

The Ravert Family said...

Oh! I used to have one of those! LOVED it!

Jennifer said...

do they really still make those? Jenna would LOVE that. I had one when I was a child.

Debby said...

Love those owls. I am copying as well.
Great new toy. Looks like fun. Glad they are bringing back some of the older toys.

Crafty Mischief said...

I love the owls! Maybe we'll make some at our house. And I didn't even know they made spirograph anymore! We are definately buying one!

Doda said...

whata wonderful classroom. You are blessed...and so are your kids to have such a cool mom!

Doda said...

Ps. that couples retreat - there wasn't a guy called Bob Claycamp teaching there was there?

pattie said...

Spirograph was my favorite when I was a kid--no idea they still made them! That will go on the Christmas list for sure:)
Love your classroom--it looks so happy and comfortable!

Sarah said...

I love the owls! So glad you are enjoying your room. I can only imagine the fun that goes on in there!

mollie's mom said...

I had no idea you could still buy a Spirograph!! Best news ever. I'm looking for one asap! I had one growing up and I spent hours doodling with it. Now I can think of lots of cool stuff to do with it... like use a circle punch to cut shapes out of the spirals and then use them for all kinds of things - like owl eyes!!! And more! Marcie

Sara @ The Football Wife said...

I love all the projects you come up with! Ellie told someone at Target yesterday that she's never going to kindergarten & that's she going to do school with Mommy at home. :) I know I have to wait a few years, but that shouldn't stop me from gathering things now, right?