Monday, September 19, 2011

botanical garden field trip, edible acorns, + food art

We just started a new parenting class at church [using Shepherding a Child's Heart and also, Age of Opportunity] and I am ecstatic about it. It could not be more timely. And sincerely- I need a parenting class yearly to keep me on track as a parent. The first lesson was about instilling the awe of God in our children. And what better place to see God's greatness than a botanical garden!!


God's awesome-ness is all around us even in the most mundane location- but this place was overflowing with His creative genius.






poor bug stuck in the [pitcher-plant]


[venus flytrap]



my faves of the day: [lily pads]








............................................................
............................................................
I saw them here and had to make them. Spread frosting [or nutella!] on one end of a doughnut hole- roll in sprinkles, toffee bits, or tiny chocolate chips. Add a pretzel stem and you have a cute little edible acorn!



My tiny artist is at it again. This time with cookbooks spread around her for inspiration.

I hope you are having a good start of the week :)

11 comments:

gailsgarden said...

Oh my! Does that bring back memories of when I had a tiny artist! And what a cute poka-dot jacket!

mollie's mom said...

I love the Atlanta Botannical Garden but haven't been in a while - you've inspired me to go!!
Love the edible acorns. I made some last week that I saw on Pinterest- use a Hershey Kiss, mini Vanilla wafer and a butterscotch chip for the stem. Stick it all together with Nutella, frosting or melted chocolate - yum! They were a hit.

Jennifer said...

beautiful pictures....and I love the treat. I might have to try that one!!

Brooke said...

You're keeping me inspired with all your Family Fun food snacks. Even your FOOD is ART! I love it!!!!

Sarah said...

I love that book! I wish I could take a class on it right now!!! Love the edible acorns! And love that little girl's art!

Sara @ The Football Wife said...

I love her artwork! It would make the coolest wrapping paper. :)

Gini Mincy said...

Those acorns are so adorable -- even I could make them! I might take it to our "Prime-Timers" get together Saturday!
Dad and I were looking at this together -- he says you should write a book on raising red-haired little girls! Her hair is getting so long! And her artwork! I am impressed! Can't wait to see you all.

Lydia said...

LOVE the cookbook art:) Those acorns look awesome! Hate that we missed the field trip, planning to go to the local one soon.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful gardens! I saw those doughnut/acorns too, very cute!

Ruth said...

The gardens are gorgeous. Great way to instill the awe of God. Simply amazing. I love your yummy acorns. I know I would eat too many of these.

Ruth

Ruth said...

The gardens are gorgeous. Great way to instill the awe of God. Simply amazing. I love your yummy acorns. I know I would eat too many of these.

Ruth