Friday, September 16, 2011

books from around the world



I love when something like this evolves in the normal day to day learning in our classroom. We read Madeline in London yesterday- looked on the map to see how the girls went on their trip to England from France. Today we read a book set in South Africa. How fun would it be to read books set in every continent of the world? Any good suggestions for us? I have North America covered and several Asian books.

And then...and then we could make little figures of the people we read about and attach them to the map! Tiny Madeline in Paris, 5 teeny Chinese brothers...

9 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh some of my favorite memories are around these books...and Five in a Row...now I am doing them again and love it just the same.
Enjoy, enjoy!!!

Stacy said...

Carol Marsh has wonderful mystery books that are about real places in the US and all over the world. My 9 year old son loves them!

Sue said...

Here are some my kindergartners enjoy:
African stories:
Galimoto by Karen Lynn Williams

Bringing The Rain to Kapiti Plain by Verna Aardema

Folkstories are fun too....like the Anansi The Spider books

Books by Ann Morris -
Bread, Bread, Bread
Hats, Hats, Hats
Houses and Homes Around the world
On The Go
Shoes, Shoes, Shoes

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Happy Reading!

Anonymous said...

You would love Five In A Row!!
We had the best family fun learning times... and wonderful memories that bring a smile just thinking about it.

Lydia said...

oh oh- I have a book you can borrow! It is full of folk tales from many different countries. It was my favorite growing up. (and has pictures for the little ones) Let me know if you are interested:)

Wendy said...

Love it! We absolutely love books over here, too...I'd suggest looking for some of those titles, above, on Paperback Swap. You can even see how far the particular book has traveled and which states/countries it has been to. Just another fun book/map activity! :)

Anonymous said...

Panama Bear
Paddington Bear
Anansi the spider books
Ferdinand the bull

mrs.pabody said...

Our favorite right now: "How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World." If you can't find it, I will mail it to you as a loaner! :)
<3

Doda said...

I could suggest some Scottish titles for you if you like?