Friday, July 29, 2011

our new schoolroom!

Pretty much everything is done! We have gotten our books, school supplies, and our room is ready.


The couch, tv, book shelf area is where we'll sit in the mornings to have devotions and story time. Directly behind the couch is my desk.


Behind the piano is the file cabinet and apron hooks- the file cabinet area will be a perfect place to do anything that involves magnets.


That little alcove to the right is where we keep the treadmill and a large shelving unit for books and supplies that are not in use.


Cozy.


I got this map at an antique store for $4!! So what if it only shows part of the United States?! At least it shows the part where we live. (and it is dry-erasable)


We've got the solar system up there to the right of the map and the art supplies are in the black cabinet to the left of the map.



I have the kids' desks set up in front of the windows as well as over by the art cabinet- but the beauty of this room is that we can move the desks and chairs around to suit our moods. If someone needs no distractions- they can move their desks into one of the window alcoves. If we are working together on a large project, we can move the desks/tables all together.


The armoire holds more art supplies.





The tall white shelves hold all games, and the cubbies hold all school books and papers. The headphones that hook up to the piano have been priceless. Anyone can practice anytime when the headphones are used.


The chalkboard is in the back- close to my desk.


Robot man is so ready for school to start.


We tried to use this room as a school room when we first started homeschooling 5 years ago when our eldest was going into kindergarten- but I have to say, it has never worked out when we had some in school and some babies or toddlers. This year, I am hopeful that things will work well up here since everyone will be in school and busy working.

Do you have a school room? Or a playroom? Where do you store school supplies and/or games and books?

23 comments:

Lauren said...

What a great room! So much to love! So cozy...which is definitely a bonus!!!!!! My art room is our creative center....and looking at it....I totally envy your organization! Off to deep clean my space! Hahaha!

Jennifer said...

I absolutely love it!! If I had a place like this, I would most likely home school! I would just love a place to put all the games, books and supplies in right now!! Good work!

Stephanie said...

I love it!!! It looks so well organized and a great use of space. The separate desks are great. We have a playroom in our attic that for some reason Jackson and I never go up there unless we have a playdate and his friends are over. We are rethinking the space and plan to make the attic a studio for both him and me, mainly my own sewing room, but now that he's getting older I'm looking forward to having an art studio in the space for him too, that way maybe I can sew more and we'll get the paints out more often too :)

Stephanie said...

By the way I think that's one of the things I love about you, you're not afraid to rearrange and repaint even if you've just done a room. I say if it isn't working change it!!! Some of my friends think I'm nuts because I change our house so much, but I love it!!

pattie said...

Wow, what a gift to have such a big space dedicated to school! You've done a great job using every bit of the space. Our dining room has slowly transformed into a school room, which works for us, as we never do any "formal" dining. You've inspired me Sara, and I may be stealing a few ideas:

Mary said...

what a perfect room to have fun in and to learn. makes one happy just viewing it.

Susan S. said...

Sara....That's an awesome space! So fun and condusive for learning. I've seen school rooms that aren't that full of fun and learning. I'm SO impressed. I don't have children but I would love to teach in that room.

God bless you!

Kellie said...

Awesome! You are off to a very good start!

JENNY said...

Wow! That is amazing! I wanna go back to school...there!! May I have the seat by the window? :)

Donovan Doins said...

We have a school room/craft room.
I love having school in one place and being able to close the door when we are done.

Great job on your decor!

MJ said...

What a great use of space with all of the little areas that are specific to certain needs. Beautiful room!

Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess said...

What a fun school room! I love all your different areas and details! I'm sure your kids will have a fabulous year!

Lydia said...

I love it! I really love Robot Man:) I also really love that you can use headphones in your piano- what a useful thing to have, especially if there are still "nappers" in the house. I'm so thankful that we have an extra room to use as a schoolroom, even though I feel SO strongly about homeschooling that I would make do if we didn't have the room. Homeschooling is definitely something you have to feel passionately about! I'm on the lookout for 4 antique desks right now.

Gail's Garden said...

WOW, SARA! YOU HAVE REALLY BEEN WORKING SINCE WE LEFT YOU! IT ALL LOOKS WONDERFUL. I CAN TELL FROM #1 SON'S NOTE THAT HE IS WOWED BY IT TOO. Now do we get to see Dave's office?

Dawn said...

I love it, Sara!!

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

It looks GREAT!

Simply Beautiful Sundays said...

So fantastic! Seriously, this is like, the ideal homeschool space! I really love it all, especially the tree on the wall. So full of heart and love. I suppose the great thing about homeschooling is that whatever space you have been given is the ideal space- it is your home, where your heart is comfortable and free. Right now, we only have one in homeschooler and 2 preschoolers, and we are trying to settle deeper into the space we have. Homeschooling actually helps me with this! It gives me an organizational structure that is so practical! I love your art, and how it is so interwoven with your momma heart.

Candace said...

That's it. I'm packing up my kids and coming to your house everyday to homeschool. It looks SO great - you did an amazing job!

thetruevine said...

So fun!

Gini Mincy said...

It looks great, Sara -- I think I'll enjoy a cup of coffee on the sofa some day and observe all the action!

meg duerksen said...

seriously SO cute in there.

Kristina said...

Your playroom is so wonderful and inspiring. That map really is a great focal piece in the room.

Nicki said...

AWESOME!!! I have a half of room for school that works great! Yours looks beautiful!!! Happy Schooling!