Friday, June 24, 2011

doll house update

We did end up painting the top room- a pale peach. New burlap window treatments....



I'll tell you what - this house is extremely hard to get good pictures of. We had a little lamp shining on it to fill each room with light. Anyone know of a good dollhouse electrician who makes (doll)house calls?!


I have been dying to wallpaper a wall using starch- somewhere! Anywhere! We thought the dollhouse would be a good place to practice. It worked like a dream.


I found this Sta-Flo liquid starch in the laundry detergent isle at Wal-Mart for under $3. I just cut fabric squares, painted a part of the wall with starch, stuck the fabric on, smoothed it out and then brushed starch on top. It was all dry by the next day.


We used this method for the bottom right room on the floor, and back wall ( I painted the red polka dots). And also for the right middle room on the walls and rug. I am going to try this on a wall in our house too. The fabric is completely adhered to the wall, but will peel off cleanly! [Oh what possibilities!!]

............................................................
Check out this list:
104 things to do when you're bored by my {famous} friend Candace AKA Frugal Mom. This has been a huge help at our house...the kids have: carved soap, hid messages in the house, taught the dog new tricks, made bow and arrows with a stick and string....(this was all done yesterday and with no help from me. I took Candace's advice and taped the list to the fridge- I do occasionally have to read the list to our 5 year old...may just be easier to teach her to read :)

.........................................................

I totally cried when I read this article: Motherhood as a Mission Field

And I totally cried when I listened to these podcasts:
(maybe you should read and listen to these too and tell me if you cry- so I'll know if it is actually the content or just basically hormonal)

3 comments:

Tammy said...

The dollhouse is looking fantastic! I love it!

Stephanie said...

Wow, incredible! Love that dollhouse!

Creative Contentment said...

Love how the doll house is coming along. I actually used a cornstarch mix and added some fun things to my daughters wall. I worked GREAT and peels off easy. I look forward to seeing what you do with it in your home!!! Just think all that fabric and color. :)

Here is my post on scrap fabric mural if you are interested. http://bloggingthemoments.blogspot.com/2011/03/scrap-fabric-wall-mural.html