Friday, May 13, 2011

strawberry day



Yesterday was a little overcast- but the rain held off so we could get our berries!



First off- we checked out the flowers. Isn't that chair adorable!?


I even bought a few tiny little flowers. I am scared. I know I will kill them and it makes me sad that I would buy them only to kill them :( But you never know. I am a tiny bit hopeful that if I plant them in a pot by the door, we will see them and be reminded to water them.


More flowers! Pretty.


Time to pick!


Pick and eat. One for the bucket- one for the mouth....




All in a days work....


We got to feed the fish and.....


play around with the wagons. See! There are my pink flowers! Take a good look...because you may never see them alive again.....



The night before I had made a jello pie (make jello, mix with cool whip, put in a graham cracker pie shell, refrigerate)


A nice compliment to our strawberries.

OK- now on to our next mission: We are going to make..............no, no, I can't tell you yet- you'll have to guess...........


Cutting the strawberries......




Mashing the strawberries....(do you know yet?)


Mixing the strawberries with sugar and more sugar and more sugar and a little lemon juice, and some certo....you must know- YES! We are making jam for the first time ever!!!!



We made freezer jam which is really easy (but very messy).



I feel like Betty Crocker and Martha Stewart all in one!!! Although I am sure their kitchens do not look like mine did! It was a disaster and sticky everywhere. But it was worth it- and in the next weeks when we open the freezer and see the jam ready for us- that will be PRICELESS :)

The jam tastes awesome. At first the kids said, "it doesn't look like Gramma's jam. The chunks are too big."

But then they tasted it and their frowns turned to smiles :) :) It was my mom who inspired the jam-making. She is always bringing us freezer jam and Dave adores her freezer jam. So she told me to go pick berries and make Dave some jam.

Here is the freezer jam recipe we used. Have you ever made jam? Are the berries ripe where you live?

(blogger has been weird the last 24 hours, right? It was totally down- I could not post anything, and then it erased my last post. Sorry about that.)

11 comments:

Jill said...

oooooh!! I have ALWAYS wanted to try making jam!- you have inspired me with all your lovely strawberry photos!! - and suddenly I'm just craving some strawberry shortcake too! :)
Happy weekend!
Blessings!
Jill

gailsgarden said...

I KNEW you could do it! And I know you can keep those flowers alive too. They look like impatience. They do well in shade or partial sun and DON'T FORGET TO WATER THEM! The strawberries look delicious! Ours should be ready in about 7 or 8 weeks, if they don't get flooded out. It is very wet here.

Laura D said...

I was having problems with blogger yesterday as well. I was going to post on something very simlar to yours. But my picture- note I didn't say pictures- is not near as fun and colorful as yours.) Cracking up that I made a pie - little different from yours but delicious none-the-less- and freezer jam for the first time. I guess great minds think alike. =)

Laura D said...

=)

Jen said...

I love your hair! : )

Mark and Tricia said...

we are soooo jealous!!! Our strawberries won't be picking for at least another month, and our freezer jam ran out about 2 months ago :( We are counting the days....

and I love your hair in the pic of you too!!

~Tricia

Stephanie said...

I made freezer Jam last year and I've started dreaming about it again!!!!! I can't wait for the strawberries to be ripe here... not until June though, but so worth the wait!

Kristi McCandless said...

We grow strawberries and got 104 quarts from our 25 plants last year (totally not normal, but we'll take it!) - we still have a couple gallon size bags full in the freezer and my husband is telling me to hurry and use them before we're swimming in fresh ones again in a couple weeks. I found Ball Simple Creations Freezer jam pectin last year, which uses waaay less sugar (1 1/2c. sugar to 4c. crushed berries) and tastes fantastic! After making 14 batches of it last year, I have my system down. I heap a 4c. glass measure with berries and then stick my immersion blender down in to crush them and leave some chunks. Once crushed, they drop down to the 4 cup line, then you just mix in the pectin/sugar mixture and you can pour right into your jars. I also found this gelato recipe, which was the hit of our annual strawberry party. http://www.italylogue.com/food-drink/strawberry-gelato-recipe.html

Brenda said...

New here. I'm enjoying looking thru your blog, very bright and colorful and cheerful. A lifter of the spirits for sure!
I wanted to encourage you with your flowers. They look exactly like the ones I bought last year for the first time. They are very hearty, and if they are the same, when they first open up they look like itty-bitty rosebuds. I actually like them better than my ol' standby, petunias. And they lasted longer too. Just sayin'!

Anonymous said...

I make freezer jam using strawberries, sugar, and a packet of Ball No Cook Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin. The berries are ripe here in Southern California!

Sarah R said...

I am totally doing a strawberry unit study now! Fun, fun! How did you make your cool little pic with the words on it like that?? Too cute!