Sunday, April 17, 2011

i'll miss you

You know I have been struggling with too much time on the phone and internet. Ever since our ladies' retreat, when Nancy talked about a noisy soul, I have known that there is a major imbalance in my life. Not just the internet, but tv and movies as well. TV has crept back into my life. I have noticed recently that I am watching things that I would not have watched a year ago. Funny how that happens. You let one swear word in here, one reference to someone sleeping around there; and pretty soon, you have this thing in your home that is bringing in worldly influences all over the place. It really skews your thinking. We don't notice it, because it is very subtle (and enjoyable and relaxing!)

How many times have you gotten up and read your Bible, been inspired by Jesus, want to live like Him....and the next thing you know, it is the end of the day and you are sprawled out on the couch watching a program that goes totally against all that you believe?

The time is right for me to unplug (what could be better than Easter week?). The time may not be right for anyone else- and this is a personal goal. I do not look down on anyone else for watching tv or surfing the web. I just know that things are out of whack in my life. My focus needs to be more on Jesus and less on what the world is doing and saying and wearing and being. It is bad when I can't even go upstairs to iron without my computer in tow so I can watch a movie or a tv show on hulu while ironing. It is bad when I cannot get on the treadmill without setting my computer up on the book rest so I can watch whatever!

So I am not going to blog for a week. I will miss you all very much. It pains me to think what I may miss on your blogs- but I will check in on you in a week! I will keep a journal (on paper!) to chronicle the week and how it felt. The kids don't know it yet, but they are also going to unplug. My littlest is going to die. She is the couch potato- and while we usually limited her viewing to one show (or movie) per day, she will sorely miss it. I am hoping that the detox will be short and our week will be filled with many rich experiences.

The real struggle is going to be with the iPhone. It is easy to keep off the computer if that is what I have decided, but the phone is something I have to have fairly handy since we no longer have a land line. The iPhone has become a handy little friend anytime and anywhere- standing in line at the grocery store? Surf the web! Sitting at a red light? Check your e-mail. It really has taken over my life. Any ideas? (I will check my phone every few minutes to see your answers :) :).....

I'll leave you with this one last photo of my new banner- the green Yellowstone map is my favorite part. And I promise to be back- don't forget about me :) :) It's just a week, right???

19 comments:

Simply Beautiful Sundays said...

I am a wierdo that really loves "media fasts". I will be praying for you this week, and you might be suprised at what a blessing it will be for you. Blessings! And may you hear God's voice and your own heart clearer than ever before=)

Kellie said...

So good to keep a proper perspective... it is always the little things that creep in unawares that do the most damage! Have a great week not glued to technology... you might even find that you like it! Make lots of trips to the library and afternoons outdoors...God is so good!

mollie's mom said...

You go girl- unplug! I am not a big TV watcher at all. Other than the Braves I'm pretty oblivious to TV all summer long ( Sorry - I'm a Southern gal! We love our boys of Summer). The internet and newly discovered blogs are another story all together!!:)I am fairly addicted. I will confess, however , that when my daughter was young we used to do TV-less weeks all the time and everyone's- I mean everyone's - behavior was better on a week w/out TV - hmmm. :)

Stephanie said...

It's funny right before stopping by blogger to look at who had new posts, I was on Facebook and I had this itch to type I'm checking out as my status. It must be that time for needing a break, not sure yet I may join you and take some time off, or at least try and cut back this week. I want to get outside more and enjoy spring!!! Miss you, and see you in a week :)

Debby said...

Thank goodness you will be back in a week. You were one of my first blogs to read. I would so miss you.
I do think it is a good thing that you are unplugging. Esp. for the kids. I am anxious to see how it goes.

Lisa said...

Sara--I think this is a great idea. WHile we don't do much tv, I am 100% addicted to the internet. I might try limiting my computer time--not ready to totally unplug, but could really do with some limits. Thank you for sharing :-)

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

Have a great week! I'm so relieved to hear that you're only taking a break and not saying goodbye to blogging forever! I think that you influence many lives for good here on your blog. (((hugs)))

Tammy said...

I'll miss your posts, but I totally understand!

See you next week. Hope you have a blessed Easter!

Cory said...

Hi Sara,
So glad it's just for a week! Your title made me think you were ending your blog!
I gave up Facebook for Lent and it has been really great. I've actually barely missed it when I thought I would not survive! Mainly I would check FB on my ipod touch and I turned off the wifi so I was not as tempted to get on. Maybe you can turn the wifi off on your phone? Not sure if the iphone works that way.
Enjoy your week!
Cory

Patty Palmer said...

Take a break. You deserve it! I do every summer. Don't blog for two months. Do I miss it? Not really. I know it's there when I resume my work schedule in September.
Enjoy the peace.

sarahssweeties said...

Very inspiring. I'm proud of you, and I know you will be blessed because of it! Can't wait to hear how your Easter week goes! Bless you!

Creative Contentment said...

Hey Sara, I am a fairly new follower. Just want to say 'do it'. Proud of you and I am certain if you let it, it will be a rich time or enjoying your Father again in a deeper way. Thanks for being a good example. :) Your post has reminded me of my goals and boundries I have set for my blogging..helps me to want to keep to it. thanks. ~

Lydia said...

Yay for you Sara! Can't wait to see how this week goes for you. Can I tell you that the month that we were in Ukraine was SO HARD. We had no TV, no phone calls (except once a week to update folks back home), and we had to walk down to the post office and PAY to update our blog, so we didn't do that every day either. I realized then how addicted I was to communication of some type with the outside world. But Rich and I played games, we talked, we read books, we walked and discovered all the neat things in the town we were staying in and I wouldn't trade it for anything....hmmm....maybe I need to have a 1 month electronic fast here for our whole family...let me pray about it...

Jill said...

you will be missed!...but, what a wonderful way to spend the Holy week!! Happy Easter to you and your sweet family!- see you next week!
Many Blessings!
Jill

Anonymous said...

When I read the title of this post, I was afraid that you were signing off forever. I think that taking time away from blogging is a great idea. Your readers will be here when you come back. Happy Easter! : )

sherilee said...

I do understand the always-checking compulsion. Even just for that reason alone I think that I should wean myself a bit, but when you start to bring in the spiritual aspect, then I *know* I should.

Kudos to you for this week, and I will be eager to hear how it's gone for you.

artteachergirl said...

Go Sara! I agree totally about the world slowly slipping in and shrouding our beliefs. It's difficult to balance. I've started walking, and taking care of myself more. Once I get home from work, I make sure I do something productive in my house or yard before I drift off into blogland. Have a blessed week away, and a renewing Easter!

katie purcell said...

What a great example and challenge for us all. Be still and know...
that I am God, I am waiting to fill you up. I will miss your daily postings but will be so excited to read about what the Lord is showing you while you listen.
Have a blessed Easter.

The Dreaming Bear said...

Good choice. You won't regret it! See you again soon!