Wednesday, March 30, 2011

surprise window makeover day!

#1 this is how things looked this morning. The little one has a cold and therefore keeps her kleenex and trashcan close by. I've been on a quest to get rid of these mini blinds. They are so dusty and I just want to get rid of them and have a new solution.


#2 today was just my limit- I tore those puppies off along with the window mis-treatments that have been there for 4 and a half years.


#3 paint! If in doubt- paint! It is almost always the cheapest and most colorful solution.


#4 now we are getting somewhere! (hard to get a picture- but the paint looks better in person- better from the outside and better when it gets dark outside)


#5 add a cafe rod and clip up some fabric to figure out what to do....This is too much with the top patterns going on...hmmmm..


#6- white is definitely a possibility- but it is not quite enough....


#7 yes! Just enough, but not too much! I sewed a little patchwork onto the white. Also at this point added more pattern to the painting and switched to the green lamp.

We can keep the curtain closed- or...


#8- open!


This process started a crazy switch and change of every piece of art in the living room and the chalkboard is now over here with a Helen Keller quote.


I'm happy :) ((don't you dare even look too closely at those patchworks! I meant to sew them crooked!!)) Now gearing up to do the other window..............

all I have to do is:

take down the window treatments
take down the blinds
trash them
clean the window
paint the window
put up the cafe rod
cut the fabric for the curtain
sew the patchwork pieces to the white fabric
clip up the new curtain
take photos (especially the outside view!)
blog about it :)

.............if I can just get up off the couch right now...................

16 comments:

shannon said...

I love it Sara!! It's fun,happy and unexpected!
Shannon
Shannon Berrey Design

Kellie said...

So cheery... love the cafe rod!

Stephanie said...

Oh I love it!! You must get an outside photo, very cool.

Jenny Stevning said...

Absolutely loving the transformation. Genius!! I love the weather you are having outside. Looks heavenly to me!

Rain said...

Well I love the window treatment-but even better was the entertainment of your post!! Thanks-very pretty though!!

carlisle clan conversation... said...

Your blog, your home, your style make me happy! Such a fun creative space!

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

It looks awesome! How fun!

Oil painting for beginners said...

This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

joyfullness said...

OH! Sara!!! Totally AWesomE!!!!!
L.O.V.E. it!!

Visible Voice said...

I love this! I wonder if I can talk my husband into letting me paint our dinning room window....or maybe I should just do it!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

It looks GREAT!!!! I, too am TIRED of dusty gross mini-blinds. But I don't think Rich will let me paint colorful squares on the window. AND we have to have privacy because SOME OF US put our pjs on very early in the afternoon...any solution for someone like me? I'd love to do something different...thoughts?

Creative Contentment said...

Wish there was a thumbs up button...so thumbs up.

KQ Sue said...

I love your house and the way you decorate! I wanted to paint my studio, lime green; DH,DYS,DDIL, SIL all went all objected. Why not white or cream, so the walls would clash with my quilt fabrics! Why!- boring!

Ruth said...

What a cute idea!!!

Ruth

samsmom said...

Okay, I picked the upstairs hall because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the little reading nook. But the front entryway is a close second because I also LOVE LOVE LOVE orange. :) Thanks for your inspiration!!

Heather said...

Just normal paint??? I think I have to try it! But...give me some courage by telling me you used tempera paint and not some chalkboard paint kind of thing...