Friday, March 11, 2011

sunflowers


I found this art project on Deep Space Sparkle. Inspired by Van Gogh and his beautiful sunflowers. I pulled up a picture of one of his sunflower paintings for us to look at.....




First step...draw the vase, flowers, and table line.


We used oil pastels and those china pencils (they have a pastel-like look and feel).


I gave the kids two different colors for the vase and background. They looked at the original and wanted to add some brown and maybe a little yellow- so we tweaked the colors as we went. I love how they noticed the subtle differences in shade and color.


This photo is for you that always ask me how I get everything done- there is a dirty pile of laundry in the corner for you :) Who has time for laundry when there is painting to do?! :)


This was a several step process, so we would let the paint dry in between steps and give the kids a break. That way when they came back to paint the next step, they were fresh and ready.

Time to paint the flowers!


What can I say? Van Gogh must have just forgotten the polka dots.....but don't worry, we have those covered.


We let the colors dry and the last step was adding some black accents with a very tiny brush. Black defines the flowers and vase...black is the best. I love you, black!


I also love my chalkboard walls for displaying art work. (this one done by our 9 year old)



by our 5 year old.


By a 35 year old


By our 8 year old.


This was a very satisfying project. Each child enjoyed the process and was happy with the results. I was happy that even my picky one, the one who always finds fault with his art, and would tend to tear up a piece of paper and get frustrated, loved this! When he made "mistakes" with the drawing, I explained how the paint can cover that up and make it all beautiful- and it did!

22 comments:

Rain said...

What a wonderful teacher-and great artists-proving that everyone has art inside their soul! Love these pics and the perfect time of year!! We need sun and sunflowers now! Your children are a joy!!

Kim's Treasures said...

Great job everyone!!! I love how they look all hung up on the chalkboard wall. I'm impressed!

Jill said...

I LOVE them ALL!!!! and I love them displayed on the chalkboard wall too!!
Happy weekend!
Blessings!
Jill

heather said...

aw! they turned out so great! i did this project the year i taught art and loved it, too! so did the kids and parents. it was very gratifying in the end. i agree with the black. we sharpied everything at the end. it makes everything pop! :) good job!

Monica said...

I love what your 8 year old did with the vase! They're all great, but that one is just unique...like his signature! ;)

Mary said...

Wonderful project...and yes must add polka dots and black. These would be great framed.

Pam said...

Van Gogh definitely forgot the polka dots!

Marsha said...

What a lovely project! Since we haven't seen the sun for a week, those sunflowers sure would brighten things up.

gailsgarden said...

Beautiful! All of them!

Kellie said...

You may very well be inspiring the next Van Gogh no?! You never know!

Debby said...

Wow, they did a really good job. I like how you had them follow the steps. WHo doesn't have a pile of laundry, well maybe my DIL, hah. I sure have a large one and my kids are grown.

Amy said...

What a fun project. My 14yo just painted VVG's sunflowers on a table for our school auction. She did a great job!

rteachr said...

I LOVE these. Blessings your way.

Christian ART teacher

rteachr said...

I LOVE these. :) Blessings to you all:)
Christian ART teacher

The Dreaming Bear said...

Sara! These are great!!!! They are treasures!!! Good work! And thank you for my wonderful phone cosy. I love it!!!

Morgan said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous! They look so pretty hanging on your chalk wall. I'm inspired!

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Wow, Sara! These are gorgeous!!! I would love those to be hanging on my wall. You are an awesome homeschool mom!
Another fun way to do Van Gogh is to have the kids do the same drawing with crayon, have them push really hard with the crayon. The whole page should be colored in. Then actually wrinkle the page into a ball, crunch crunch. Then run it under a slightly running faucet. Let excess water drip; then lay page flat, brush black paint on it quickly and then wipe it off extremely quickly. The black paint will go in all the cracks. It is an awesome project.

Patty Palmer said...

These look great, Sara! As always you are the epitome of creativity!

meg duerksen said...

GORGEOUS!!!!

sarahssweeties said...

Wow! What fun. Your kids have to love all this fun stuff you do with them!

Stephanie said...

All of these are beautiful! They look best all together!

Katie Barker said...

Very cool! I'm really impressed by all of them - but I do love the creativity of kiddo 8.