Friday, January 14, 2011

shopping and eating and cooking is fun again



My mom & dad came to stay with us and as a surprise my brother showed up too! My parents thought it would be impossible for him to get together with us this Christmas, so it was a fun surprise!

My brother is a vegetarian and a very healthy eater, so I went to Trader Joe's to stock up before he came. I fell in absolute love. I have posted about Trader Joe's before and how great it is...but now I am completely hooked!

The things that I love about TJ's are:

1] that it is small- so you can't get too overwhelmed.
2] They have samples- every time I have shopped there (about 4 or 5 times now) I have tasted their sample and popped whatever it was straight into my cart :) :) This time it was green juice....
3]They promise: The finest quality, natural ingredients. This means:
  • NO artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
  • NO genetically modified ingredients
  • NO MSG
  • NO added Trans Fats
4] Their hummus and pita chips have saved my life. yum! (that is what we are eating in the above photo.....cilantro and jalapeno hummus)
5] our menu is interesting again- I had gotten into such a rut before- and now I come home with colorful, healthy, and tasty food.
6] the dried fruit is so yummy and definitely cheaper than at Wal-Mart.
7] overall I believe I am spending about as much as when I was buying all of my groceries at Wal-mart- only now I am getting healthy and interesting foods in a bigger variety.
8] Our kids love shopping at TJ's and trying to find the hidden squirrel each trip- they get to pick a prize from the treasure box if they spy the rodent. Last week it was organic lollypops :)
9] The store is creative and the packaging fun.
....................................
Our Trader Joe's is about 25 minutes away, so I am trying to buy for 2 weeks at a time. We will see how that goes. It seems like no matter how much I buy we polish it off in a week...so I am trying to stash stuff away in the freezer to make this trip last a little longer. And we are rationing the mini mint ice cream mouthfuls!

Trader Joe's did not pay me to say this- I just have had so much fun shopping and eating that I had to tell you about it!

12 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh how I love TJs! Ours is over an hour away, so we cherish the time that we get there! Our girls love looking for the monkey at our store! And pita chips and hummus...have some stocked in the frig....swoon! My girlfriend told me about those frozen cookie treats...I'm scared...I will buy the whole freezer full! Oh, and I ALWAYS get some fresh flowers! They are a cheap way to put a spring in my kitchen's step!

beKah said...

I think TJs is a fun store too! A good friend of mine no longer lives by a TJs so for Christmas I sent her and her kids a box of their favorites: Black Licorice Scotty Dogs, Beef Jerky (green bag), Banana Chips (silver bag), Simply the Best Trail Mix (cranberries). They have a lot of food allergies, so this was a great store for them. I hope they get one near at their new home soon!

Kim's Treasures said...

When we get back from MI, I am going in search of our Trader Joe's! I want to try new food!

Pam said...

I love TJ's too! (The minute I first walked into one, I thought, "Ooh, Sara would love this store!"...no joke! It was so colorful and creative!) The nearest one to us is at least 45 minutes away, so we don't get to go very often. I am particularly fond of their extra dark chocolate covered almonds.

And I didn't know about a hiding squirrel! I wonder if they do this at all TJs?

Shelley said...

Sounds like a very fun place to shop...I don't think we have them here....nice looking family photo...blessings

Kellie said...

Just because you are so thrilled with TJ - I think I need to try it! I'll let you know!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

I love TJs and Whole Foods- I stock up every time I'm in an area where there is one I wish we would get one here in our area!

Cory said...

I've never been to one but we are very excited to be getting two stores in our area this year!! Can't wait to go there, especially after your post!

Cory

Tracey said...

What a nice family picture. You are so blessed. I have never been to a Trader Joes as we don't have them were I live. My sisters' in Va. love it. I think I need to take a road trip so I can go shopping there too. Just reading your post made me hungry.

musicteach506 said...

No TJ's in Saint John, but we ARE getting Target in Canada. Yippee! So great to see the picture of the 4F's-(sorry, Sara, but you are still Sara Fosmark to me). I remember well your Canadian advent and now look at you and Andy. ALL GROWN UP! Of course your Mum, Dad and I have not changed in those years. just you two. LOL

Mark and Tricia said...

You make me Jealous! We LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Trader Joes!


Jenna

Anonymous said...

HI Sara! We love Tj's too! The closet one to us is about a 50 minute trip- so we don't get there as often as I'd like! I never knew about the hidden animal... but thanks so much for the info- my 7year old sone is now excited for our next trip! Such a great store! I recently joined Weight Watchers and Tj's has many great products for me there! Hope you are well! I get SOOOO many compliments on your prints that hang in our kitchen! xoxo-
Mandy from Ohio