Tuesday, January 4, 2011

gingerbread & goalish

My parents brought us this gingerbread house kit- and I am so glad they did! I have only made the homemade graham cracker things. This was super fun. The icing was like super glue and that really helps. It was like therapy to me to glue on little round colored candies in pretty patterns. I let the kids help too- honest I did.


I am on the lookout for a valentine house kit now.


But we have to get through all the birthdays first...
Dave's,
our soon to be 8 year old's,
and Sadie's 2nd b-day.


On the topic of new year's resolutions (to change subjects here)........I am definitely thinking about some goals for the new year. Jen, my walking buddy, and I were talking about our to-do lists and what is really important. I love making to-do lists for each day. I love crossing stuff off of the list. I want to make a to-do list for each day and then re-examine the list, cross off about a third of it, and write in- KIDS!!! Spending time with them, reading to them, teaching them life lessons, listening to them, talking to them.

Isn't it funny how we can get so busy with stuff that doesn't even matter!!!?!!!!???!!!!!?!!!

I want this year to be different.

I want to have a house cleaner come in once a week. (did I write that?.......................)



Pastor preached about living for the sake of the Gospel.....you can go here to listen to it. And don't forget about Dave's message Lay up Treasure in Heaven in 2011. (you can see that here too). I have yet to pick a verse for this year- or to really write down my goals- but living for the sake of the Gospel pretty much sums it all up, right! People are what matters.........giving glory to God is what matters. But it can take me about 2 hours to forget all of that and have my selfishness take over.

I love these words...................

I Repent

I regret the hours I have wasted and the pleasures I have tasted that You were never in. And I confess that though Your love is in me, it doesn't always win me when competing with my sin.

CHORUS
And I repent, making no excuses. I repent no one else to blame. And I return to fall in love with Jesus. I bow down on my knees and I repent.

I lament the idols I've accepted, the commandments I've rejected to pursue my selfish end. And I confess I need You to revive me, put selfishness behind me and take up my cross again.

And I return to fall in love with Jesus. I bow down on my knees and I repent.

(by Dave Noel)

6 comments:

Donovan Doins said...

Wow, that is powerful and humbling. I Repent...sends me right to the foot of Christ. Thanks for sharing.

Donovan Doins said...

Wow, that is powerful and humbling. I Repent...sends me right to the foot of Christ. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have been in the church my whole life and never heard that song. It is wonderful! Also if you find a Vealentine house let me know! We have our heart twinkle lights up from the $1 bin at Target and a few other heart things. That house would be so fun! Hope your day is lovely. Blessings. Kelly

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Love the gingerbread house! Yep- I'm all about the resolution to live an intentional life this year-completely focused on doing whatever it takes to lay up treasures in heaven and live for the sake of the gospel, and sometimes that starts with letting your kids have you for "fun" times. They need to know you are there to be silly with AND serious with. Why would they talk "real stuff" with a Mom who only teaches them school? PEOPLE (including our younguns) are the treasures we can take to heaven with us:) Maybe you can do a reminder post every now and then to keep me on track:)

Ruth said...

I love making lists, too!! It's nice to look back and see how much you've accomplished. Reevaluating the list is definitely something to do. Cross off the unimportant and make time for those special moments.

Ruth

Jenn A said...

I loved seeing that song posted here! It is one of my very favorites too! And I constantly face the same battle - valuing what is eternal over what is temporary.