Thursday, December 2, 2010

trees, cake, + thrift goodies

We have 6 trees this year. The big one in the living room, and little ones in the kitchen, upstairs hall, our room, the 4 year old's room, and another little one in the living room on the desk. I am crazy about trees this year. A huge thanks to my friend who gave us 3 of the trees! (the boys also have tiny trees and lights- I guess I did not count theirs.


Our bedroom's little lime tree.


Change of subject here: has anyone tried the cake in a mug recipe? You stir these together in a mug:
4 Tablespoons flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
then add:
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
mix well. Microwave for 3 min. It puffs all up and over the rim while cooking, but will fall down a little when you take it out.

I was desperate for cake last night- so I made this. It was very fast and easy. It was good- but needs icing or ice cream or something. I dug around until I found chocolate ice cream topping. It works when you are in a pinch.


random pantry shot....I was excited to find that striped platter for a buck at a thrift store.


On to the Christmas crafts............


Here's the little tree in the living room. We just recently got the desk at a thrift store for $14- solid wood! $14!! what a deal, right- I am trying to think of what color to paint it..............

1] a lighter aqua than the mantle
2] lime green
3] lavender
4] orange
5] cobalt
what would you vote for?

18 comments:

The Hopkins Home said...

I'm torn between the light aqua and the lime green. Your house looks so fun - I love how you mix pattern and colors so well - it looks like something out of a magazine, I love it!!!

Kristi said...

I'll bet that cake would be the bomb with some vanilla bean ice cream on top!

We've got three trees this year. One is up and decorated, one is just up and the other is still in it's bag. I found a link party that starts Tues where you show your favorite ornaments. I want to join in so I guess I better get it gear.

For the desk, I say either the lime green or the blue.

Kellie said...

I love the desk... why not a real pale yellow with colorful drawer fronts of the lime and cobalt! Can't wait to see your finished product!

Jenn A said...

I vote for aqua, but lavender might be cute with that green chair. You could decoupage on the drawer fronts too.

Bethany said...

Love the little trees all over! So cute! =)
I think I would paint it either orange or lime green! I'm sure whatever you do will look adorable!

Stephanie said...

We have three trees this year, I'm all about trees too!
I say either light aqua or orange or maybe some of both!!!

joeandkris513 said...

I think you should use lime green or orange...those would be best with your fireplace. Is it going in that room?
Your trees are amazing. I've been decorating tonight and still won't get to the lights and ornaments until tomorrow. Happy December!

Living Creatively said...

Love, love all of your trees. And the felt circle garland turned out great!!

For the desk, I vote aqua or orange!

Jenny Stevning said...

You are quickly becoming one of my creative heroes! I love all of your trees.

Monica said...

Don't paint the desk!!! :)
On a different note, I want to know more about the placemat under the lamp on the desk!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

I don't know...my first thought was lime...but orange would be nice. What about red? The Walmart brand of red spray paint is really pretty and not super bright so it would match with just about anything you put on or around it.

Chrissie Grace said...

I'm gonna go with lime green
love all the trees :)

manda said...

Orange gets my vote! I love orange! And yes, we went through a mug cake phase in our house where we made one every night for about 2 weeks. It would have been easier just to bake a big cake. We topped ours with whipped cream. Yummy!!

Tammy said...

Love all your little trees!

As for the desk...how about lavender for the top & around the edge, the lighter aqua for the legs & cross bar & a patchwork/decoupage on the drawer front!

I know whatever you choose will be fantastic!

Lindsay - Paint Me A Picture said...

I will pay no attention to the cake in a mug recipe. I am always hard up for sweets b/c I don't need them in the house so I don't need ANYTHING I can make that easily :)

Sara @ The Football Wife said...

I'm so impressed with the amount of beautiful things you create in a week. I can't wait to get our Christmas things down from the attic today. :)

I vote for a lighter aqua for the desk. It looks like such a nice cozy spot!

Shanna said...

I vote for the Lime Green!!! Also, that cake in a mug looked yummy... why do I never think of things like that?

misss_e said...

I love these little trees all over the house! It brings the spirit of the season to every room. Also...Im going to try this cakeinamug...I need to stop making whole cakes because then I eat them. Well my husband does...