Tuesday, December 14, 2010

sooooo cute [plus a winner....plus homeschool stuff]

Check out that pillow! The dots! The colors! The sentiment!

Great things are going on at Things With Wings.....they have a whole line of art put out by demdaco and will be in stores in the new year! I love this stuff. and the pillow is def going to be my first purchase.

****************************
And the winner of my patchwork shirt is......................
Chastity of Smellin Coffee!!!! You will want to check out her blog- she has a lot of really cute photos on there. (Chastity, e-mail me your address and I will get it in the mail for you)

*****************************
On another topic all together. Yesterday was one of those days at our homeschooling home/school/house. One of those days where you want to run after the yellow bus to come back and take your children too. Dave and I chatted very sweetly and positively (ha) about the subject and came to the conclusion that we will keep at the homeschooling thing. For today, anyway :) :)

I love the kids to death. I love homeschooling. I love the crafts and the story time, and the time to disciple my kids, the time to learn together and explore and go on field trips, the tears and joy at finding out for the first time how our country was founded (remember I went to school in Canada- I do get a little teary when I hear some of these things for the first time). It is just that when you home school your kids, they never go home after school- they are already home- they stay. They never leave. It can be a bit overwhelming at times to have to live with your students!

I am trying not to complain too much because I do realize that I have so much to be thankful for. And that it is a privilege that I get to stay at home with my kids. I know it is a combination of me trying to get too much other stuff done plus school the kids, plus not feeling too great b/c of a cold. And we all know kids are bonkers the few weeks leading up to Christmas. So I think it is a combo of all of those things....plus throw in a healthy does of my selfishness and me wanting to do my own thing and not have to worry about them all day................................I wish it were not true- but it is and I have to confess and strive to turn away from the selfishness every single day. My job here on this earth is not to just clean my house and create pretty things all day! My job is to love and teach and serve and give!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And honestly- when I do manage to do the right thing- there are so many blessings! The blessings of giving yourself to others- it fills your heart with true joy.

That is my prayer today- that I could live with eternity in view. That I would live for others instead of myself. That I would think if Jesus and what He did for me- giving this love and forgiveness to others. Serving others the way Jesus did when He was on this earth.

Praying that we will all have a day of blessings in our homes- a day of love and giving..............................and not of selfishness!!!!! (praying for a miracle here :) :) See- I need that pillow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 comments:

Laura D said...

I love your honesty! Thanks for being real. I remember those days sometimes when I was homeschooled. In the end I am so glad my parents decided to homeschool me. ( 8-12th grade) This season is so busy and I am always amazed at what you can get accomplished! Hope today is refreshing after yesterday.

P.S. Love your Christmas decor. I get some of "my" best ideas looking at what you do. Thanks for sharing your life/crafts with me!

Paintedpaper said...

I feel that way too! I am not a homeschool teacher but a art teacher who picks up her kids and teach Christian values, and be a wonderful parent it is very exhausting. I am so patient with my students every day, teaching about respectfulness, being responsible then I come home and try to do the same while preparing dinner, and doing laundry, Thanks for being Real! It makes us other moms feel it is ok to vent! :)

The Whiteley's said...

Some days I also feel overwhelmed when homeschooling my kids! I definitely think it is important that you get that time away every once in a while to refresh and stay focused and remember that you do love these children and you do love teaching/discipling them. For me that time away is a sewing group with other homeschool moms on monday nights. We visit alot and sew a little! I get the chance to be creative and my boys get the chance to have a "guys night" with their daddy!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Meeeee tooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I pray that way every morning before my toes hit the cold morning air. And it is STILL a struggle. Good things NEVER come easy. Thanks for keepin' it real and letting others know that homeschooling is NOT always the EASY choice. Homeschooling moms work 24/7 and don't even get the car ride alone after dropping kids off at school, cuz home IS school. But we wouldn't change anything, the years pass all too fast!

Kellie said...

You will NEVER regret it Sara! They are the ONLY "possession" you have that you can bring with you when you leave this place! All those crazy meltdown days will soon be forgotten... but when your kids are grown and gone you will absolutely TREASURE those memories... I promise!

tacky said...

Oh dear! I just posted to my blog...and then decided to blog hop trying to escape the reality that is mine for a short time...it seems as if we are all in the same stage of the game this week! Ted reminded me about how it was when I was teaching and "why would I think it would be any different homeschooling?" sigh It is just easy to forget...because our children are always with us and it can be a little overwhelming at times! I wish you lived closer...because I would so call you to meet me out at Olive Garden or Panera tonight! Love to you, K

HallMom said...

I think we are having a whole year of "those days" !!! Having toddler twins makes homeschooling very, very difficult. I keep telling myself things will get better. Thankfully Annabelle is only 5 and doesn't require much to keep up with her peers. I guess God gave me a sharp as a tack little girl first because He knew this would happen! Oh, and I understand the want to clean the house and make pretty things all day. Sometimes I think about putting them in school just so I can have a clean house! I know that's not the best thing though! Thanks for the very *real* post. I needed that today!

Lauren said...

Things With Wings...AWESOME! I'm inspired! And I love all of your Christmas decor! It puts a smile on my face!

Tracey said...

Sara, I hope you had a much better day today. My heart went out to you after reading your post. I hope you are not too hard on yourself. Being a homeschool mom is rewarding, but it is also one of the hardest jobs you can do. This season of your life will be gone in the blink of an eye, so relax and enjoy it. You are doing a fantastic job. Blessings to you.

justin, jake and jenna's mom said...

(((HUGS))) I've been there too!!! Praying for you...you're doing the right thing. You'll feel better after vacation, I'll be praying for you as you finish this week.

Love ya!
Tricia

Morgan said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been in a homeschool funk lately or, basically, I've had those feelings of being overwhelmed. Maybe it's a difficult month to be a homeschooling mom with the busyness and stress of Christmas. Maybe? Or feeling cooped up in the house?
Anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone in having these feelings. Thank you for the encouragement (I took it for me, too. ha!) to focus on eternity. So, so good and true!

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

I hear ya! It seems we've been using the old "I guess next year you'll just have to go to regular school all day every day," threat quite a bit more lately -um like every day 2 or 3 times. My little guy just hates to quit playing to do work and relentlessly lets me know his displeasure all the time! Argh!!! Christmas break is coming!!! Hang in there!

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

.

sarahssweeties said...

Thanks for your honesty and for being open with us! I feel the same, as I know most of us do. We love what we do with these children, yet it is the hardest thing we have ever done! I think it has aged me already!! I am convinced we are all just ready for the Christmas break. Time for a rechargin'!!! Bring it on!

Jill said...

you are such an encouragement to me, sara! - in your transparency and your striving to grow. I would probably go insane if I attempted to homeschool my rowdy 3 boys. It would be a disaster. BUT I SO admire you that you do and that it works for your family. You are totally entitled to have these feelings, and it's obvious that you don't get stuck there!

thanks for sharing us with your blog friends!

I LOVE those jolly goode prints, and the porcelaine markers are such a cool idea- hmmmm.... it's got me thinking.... about some Things With Wings plates.

Stupid question - in your thrift store hunting, how do you know if the plates are the right material to work with these markers?

Donovan Doins said...

I truly think selfishness is the hardest part of human to overcome, add homeschool in the mix and it becomes...a whole new struggle. I keep Phil 2:3 above my sink because I just need to be reminded to keep my family where God would.

Hope your feeling better physically and spiritually today.

Ruth said...

We have had many of those homeschool days. It can be very trying and very rewarding at the same time. We get tired and worn out and God understands the flesh is weak. It is only through him. There are some wonderful videos on YouTube by Susan Wise Beauer where she implements rest and quiet time each day even with her high school kids. They are such a help and encouragement.

Ruth

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Oh, just adorable!! I'm off to go check out the rest of your house!!

Connie said...

If only more people would strive to live their lives like you do,this world would be a whole lot different - with eternity in mind -as well as our minds can grasp it! You rock. And thanks for the shout out about our demdaco collection. Like I said, you rock.