Wednesday, November 10, 2010

scarecrows + thankfulness

Nothing like a creative mess


I found this project on Deep Space Sparkle....


We drew the farmland with pencil first and then outlined the picture with black marker. A black outline makes the colors pop.



Then painted....


Then they used a template to trace pants, shirt, and hat for the scarecrow...


I love how our 4 year old's scarecrow is hiding under his hat


what a happy guy :)

I have been thinking a lot about thankfulness lately- and I know it is almost cliche this time of year...but really when you think of it, thankfulness is the cure for so many problems.

I struggle with discontentment at times. I have no absolute idea why- I have no idea in the world what I have to be discontent about. Starting the day out with time in God's Word- things go well- planning to spend the day serving my family- loving them- giving them my time and attention.

Mid morning and things start to go downhill. My selfishness starts oozing out and I want to do my thing! Even if it is cleaning the house in peace- it is still my way. I want control of things- I want the kids to not need me so much. Discontent with how things are going and how everyone is "bugging" me. But when I stop to be thankful......

Thankful for my family who needs me!
Thankful that My Father in heaven is much more patient with me than I am with my children.

When I start to feel sorry for myself for some crazy reason......if I *remember* to thank God for what HE has given and what HE allows- that is when contentment comes- contentment in what God has planned. Contentment in living for Him and not myself.

It is a daily struggle...but the truth is, life lived only for myself is empty and hard. Life lived for Him is peaceful and right....it may be hard too- but when you have the peace that you are doing right- and putting others ahead of yourself, there is so much joy.....

Just wish I would realize this everyday :)

Dear Lord, please speak to me everyday....help me to stay close to You and Your Word....to live for you- and to know the blessings that comes with that....instead of the frustrations of living for myself.

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
Colossians 2:6,7

7 comments:

Chastity Gomez said...

How I can relate to mid day getting selfish and not wanting to serve my kids and my husband when he comes home- it is a constant struggle- great reminder to pour out my life to others and serve! That truly does bring great joy!

Kim's Treasures said...

I hear ya! I struggle everytime our neighbors are so rude and loud in the apartments surrounding me. I get frustrated because we weren't able to sell our house yet and we're stuck in a small stinky apartment. Then I remember how awesome God has been to us...he makes it possible to pay both a mortgage and rent (which is not cheap in the Chicago area!). We are blessed. He will see us through until we move and beyond!

Cute scarecrow projects! I use to draw hills of fields when I was little, my great-grandma taught me. She loved to draw!

Have a great and thankful day!
Kim

Jenny Stevning said...

Lovely post! What fun creativity. Can I come live in your house, too?? :)
God is so patient, and loving and merciful - sometimes it leaves me speechless. Be gentle with your beautiful self.

Paintedpaper said...

Thank- you for this post! I have felt this way the last 2 days. Wanting to have quiet time to myself to do some things for me but then after teaching all day and coming home to 2 little ones I am exhausted. I looked at them and think How blessed I am for having them for my children and that God will give me strength. Again it is nice to see this post.

Laura

sarahssweeties said...

I love the pictures. Such color and such fun.
To be thankful for being needed...thanks for that great reminder. It brought tears to my eyes. We do love to be needed, although sometimes it completely wears us out. But I am thankful to have so many boys here that need me. All 4 of them.

Patty Palmer said...

Totally adorable scarecrows, Sara! Thanks for linking!

Megan Walker said...

This was such a sweet post Sara - loved it :)