Tuesday, November 9, 2010

food for the soul (and the stomach)



Favorite library books of the week:

#1] Clorinda takes flight by Robert Kinerk, illustrated by Steven Kellogg. My favorite part? When they take all of the clothes they can find and stitch together to make the hot air balloon.



#2] Do Unto Otters by Laurie Keller. My favorite part (aside from the title?) is that they give certain words or phrases in 5 languages. You know you want to say "thank you" in French, Spanish, German, Japanese, and especially pig latin.


This picture is awful, and looks like a papier mache project gone bad. But trust me when I say these are good chicken and dumplings. Comforting.

Chicken N Dumplin's
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. poultry seasoning (I didn't have any- so I sprinkled in some onion powder)
1/4 c. shortening (I used butter)
1 egg beaten
1/4 c. milk
3 c. chicken broth
1 c. cubed chicken (I used a little more than that)

In a bowl, combine first 3 ingr. Cut in butter (or shortening) til crumbly.
Combine egg and milk--stir into flour mixture, just til combined.
Roll onto heavily floured surface to 1/4" thick
Cut into 1 inch x 2 inch strips.
In a large saucepan bring broth to boil. Add chicken, reduce heat, drop in dumplings.
Cover, simmer for 20 min.
Salt and pepper to taste.


Another awful picture. Fried Okra! We must be truly southern now. Who likes okra? My family is split down the middle- most think it is too slimy. But I found this in the frozen food section- already breaded and I love it.

7 comments:

sarahssweeties said...

I want to find that book now! Too cute! And mmm...it's early but that made me hungry! I need to make some dumplins for my little dumplins!

gailsgarden said...

I'll be right down for some okra and I bet I know who eats it with you - Middle Child, eh?

Monica said...

ahh fried okra. For the "okra is too slimy" camp in your family, try baking it. It's not slimy and if you cook it (375) for about 20-30 minutes it can even be slightly crunchy. (And if you go with non-breaded okra to bake, then I'd use flavored seasonings and spray it with oil before baking).

Pig latin... really? That is so funny!

Tracey said...

My husband loves fried okra and I love it pickled. We always make sure it is planted in the spring garden. It is very good cooked fresh in just a little olive oil, salt & pepper.

Kim's Treasures said...

The book sounds cute! My daughter, who is a teacher, would love it!

I love chicken and dumplings and hubby loves fried okra! When we go to Cracker Barrel, I order chicken and dumplings and he orders 2 orders of fried okra! Thank you for the recipe!

Have a great day!
Kim

Pam said...

I love okra! I usually end up with a bounty of it in the summer...folks can't give it away! The breading is a pain, but not the way you bought it! I bake mine to make it healthier.

Shelly said...

I LOVE Okra. Grew up on it.