Monday, October 11, 2010

praying for our children


Have I mentioned Sarah's blog before and the praying parent content?? I probably have- it is such good stuff. But I have been reminded of it yet again as I pray for my kids and want to be more specific and intentional in how I pray for them. What a gift we can give our kids when we wrap them each day in our hugs and prayers.

Sarah has an adorable blog with lots of homeschool ideas- and an entire section on the praying parent. Check it out! Great stuff. If I go a few days without praying for my kids, I feel like I have let them out of the house without any clothes on! Naked and cold and shivering. We have an important job as a parent - and we often forget the part that we cannot see.

Another great article on praying for your kids, here....and a quote....
The state of our children's souls before God should drive us to prayer. We should beseech God to protect our children from worldliness, or to rescue them from sin's entanglement. We must ask God to give them an undying love and passion for the Savior. We must pray that God would strengthen their faith and uphold them in the midst of trials.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life as a mom (or mentor to somebody)!!!!!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Reading "the Power of a Praying Parent" by Stormie O'Martin really showed me areas that I need to pray for my kids.

Andy and Ana said...

Morning Sara :) True about praying for our children even when their grown & grandchildren, too. I have a small felt heart my son created for me in day-care (1970's) I place my glass inside it and when I get them in the morning & at night put them down...I pray for my grown son, wife & grandboys :) Thanks for the opportunity to share...
oh, yes my prayer is to be & grow Christ-like as in Luke 2:52...
Have a good week, Ana at: Our Front Porch andrewharshaw@suddenlink.net

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

What a timely reminder for me- we are really having some issues with a couple of our crew and I have been on my knees in prayer for them MORE lately. I do pray for them constantly but it isn't always specific- loved how you mentioned that you wouldn't send your kids out in the cold naked, so why send them out into LIFE without prayer?

Shanna said...

Wonderful blog post! And SO timely, too....the world is a vicious, dangerous place without God's protective covering over our children & grandchildren.

sarahssweeties said...

Thanks for the link and your kind words! It really is so important to pray for them...not just waiting to pray over your 3 year old while they sleep (after you just put him to bed because he is absolutely making you crazy!!). That was me the other day, but a good reminder to spend time in praying for their little personalities, and mommy's too!!!

Living Creatively said...

Such a great reminder. We've been having quite a bit of sibling rivalry around here lately. :( I've been praying more for them, but I'm not "wrapping them" as snuggly as I could, or as often as I could.
I'll check out the links.
Thanks!

jen said...

Off topic to your post today but I thought of you today when I was looking at picture books. Have you ever seen "Ella Sarah Gets Dressed" by Margaret Chodos-Irvine? I think you and Ella Sarah would get along just fine. As a matter of fact, you might be Ella Sarah!

I've been encouraged by your sense of style when helping my own 3yo girl to dress in fun and funky ways. So, thanks!