Tuesday, September 28, 2010

thrifty fall fashion


You know I am always trying to convert you to be a thrift store shopper if you aren't already. There are so many treasures to be found. You are able to dress your children (and yourself) much better than if you took that same amount of money to regular stores. I also *love* consignment stores, yard sales, and best yet: hand-me-downs :)

I found that little red down Lands End vest at Goodwill for $1.49! It is so adorable and perfect for layering- the possibilities are endless and it is good for our mild winter. I also got the striped shirt from a thrift store, the skirt is a hand-me-down, and the tights were from her Granna. Total price for cute little outfit: under $4


My mom sent this little polka dot mini Boden jacket. All my dreams have come true. I saw this jacket on the Boden site a year ago and drooled over it- but, no, I will never pay $58 for a jacket for my daughter when I can get cute stuff like this for a few bucks. Mom got it at Frenchy's- which is the best thrift store ever! I have only seen it in Canada where I grew up.


And look at this little trench coat!!!!!!!! Also from Frenchy's.



Fall is such a fun time for fashion....the boots! The jean jackets!!! This jean jacket has been waiting patiently in her closet for years- passed down by cousin B, the dress was a few bucks at Goodwill, and the boots were a hand-me-down from a little boy friend of hers :)


Boots! Boots! Love the boots. I got mine when we were in SF at a Goodwill for $7.


And the dress was on sale at the Gap for $10. Yay for sales and thrift stores!!! Hopefully this has convinced you to try it out if you haven't. Find a friend who does the thrifting thing and go shop for an afternoon- you never know what goodies you will find!

Check out a fun new blog about a teen girl who gets all her name brand clothes at thrift stores: thrifty threads

11 comments:

Jill said...

Too cute!!! I drooled over the same coat for my littlest princess too!!! *sigh* maybe I should give the thrifting a try! :)
Blessings!
Jill

Kim's Treasures said...

Adorable!!! Such great deals!!! I love thrift stores!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

We should go thrifting together. I love cheap clothes! All my stuff is super cheap but I don't think I look cheap...do I? :) Love the boots- yours and hers:)

Tracey said...

All of my clothes come from thrift stores. I love Ann Taylor clothes, but would never pay mall prices. I am so thankful that someone loves to donate them to my local Goodwill. My favorite find was a pair of black Italian leather boots that were still in the original box- I paid $2.99!

sarahssweeties said...

Looks great! Yay for all clothes! I am ready!

Monica said...

You need to try the Bargain Box at Cameron Village. It's operated by the Junior League of Raleigh, so they don't always have normal store hours, but it's a neat place to shop.

Sara @ The Football Wife said...

Love it! I think Ellie and I will go thrift shopping on this rainy day (and her birthday!). :)

thedomesticfringe said...

I adore your dress!

-FringeGirl

Gretchen said...

YEAH RIGHT!!! LOooove your finds! Every once in a while I'll put Susie in something that makes me think of your girlie, and I think "Sara would be proud". :)

For example, her red polka dot shoes that I got a consignment sale half price day for $3.50! In my book, red shoes go with everything, so these will be her main shoes this fall. (there is a pic of her wearing them on my blog post "some things about Susie"). I totally look at her outfits and mentally add up "hand me down = free, essentials room = free, consignment sale = $2.50" or whatever. :)

Does your area do those big week long consignment sales? We have a plethora of those each spring and fall. LOVE THEM! I've hit several half price days, and then one early bird day (because I was a consigner).

Shanna said...

Oh, Honey, I've done consignment shopping for YEARS!!! It's the best thing EVER!!! All my clothes come from consignment stores, and my daughter does the same thing for herself and her son. Such cute [and name-brand] items you can get for next to nothing. Love the little outfit you put together for your daughter :)

Andy and Ana said...

Great finds! So colourful, too. My friends teen daughter also buys thrift...she loves the retro & punk look. I love the designs & textures.
Good buys my price range, too. Love it, Ana Harshaw