Sunday, September 26, 2010

how has school been going, you ask?

**we have not had internet for 3 days!!!!! We just got it fixed. Did you miss me? I missed you. I have so much to tell you! I've been changing things up with our decor- the paper lanterns are back in the kitchen! Pulling out some winter stuff- super cute thrift store winter goodies....

Anyway- here is a little update about school:


Despite a few rocky moments each day- things are going well. I am finding out that having a 4th grader, 2nd grader, and a preschooler is more work than a 3 year old, 1st grader, and a 3rd grader! Ha-ha. I think it is the papers- there is more work to grade. Last year I could sit there and check their work as they completed it, then pass it back for any corrections. This year the paper work is piling up! So things are busy, but good. I think my biggest obstacle is wisdom in time management. The facts are; the kids need a lot of my time- and when this gets out of whack- when mom is scurrying around trying to get too many things done- that = trouble.

I am still struggling with the science projects :( I am so bad about this! The kids would love to do more projects. While I definitely think you do not need to do all of the projects in the textbooks- we need to do more than we have been doing. We homeschool moms need to work on our weak areas. When a kid has a different teacher each year- they get the benefit of learning from that particular teacher's strengths. My kids are artistic and musical and can read well....but the science and history part??? Not as strong. Math has been OK up until now because (thank You, Lord!) God blessed them with their Daddy's way with numbers. We will see when we get to the older grades....I think Dave would be a really good Math, History, and Science teacher, don't you?
I think we have only had one burn-out situation so far (last week)...but nothing that a good bubble bath and movie nite with Dave could not fix.

How is school going for you? Homeschool and non-homeschoolers alike....are you ready for thanksgiving break yet?! :)

Have a great rest of Sunday. We had a good morning at church and now are enjoying the football game (they are enjoying it and I am enjoying the internet access :)

13 comments:

mysteryhistorymom said...

Sweetie- I feel you! We love using Apologia for Science. Have you tried it? I also LOVE Mystery of History and Story of the World for History. They have changed how I feel about the subjects. They are my favorites now!:) What are you using for school this year? I would love to try School of Adventure. I am addicted to curriculum. Can you tell?:) Lori

gailsgarden said...

Who is "not in charge"? I think I know, but I didn't think she could print that well yet. Haha! I sure hope you have something new on the other blog! I'm checking now.

HallMom said...

Homeschooling is going well for us. I am loving having "morning assembly" with all the kids. We do our memory work then and the babies work on their ABC's. It's cute to hear them say "A" for each letter I show them. They will get it someday I am convinced!!! Last week was a little rough in places though because Mommy overbooked us several days. Mommy is silly like that sometimes. We had a movie night to make it all better as well. Movies and popcorn...the best solution to a rotten day. Have a great week!!!

thedomesticfringe said...

Must be that time of the year...I just posted on homeschooling too! The "I'm not in charge." paper made me crack-up. My son needs to write one of those!

-FringeGirl

Paige said...

Praying for you this week! Hope it is a good one.

Stephanie said...

Hope this week is better for you :) The bubble bath and movie night sounds like fun though. I can't wait to see all the new things you've been doing. I missed the paper lanterns.

Monica said...

Okay, the sentence writing has me laughing!!! Hang in there, Sara! You're doing a great job!

Dave Mincy said...

I am in charge
I am in charge
I am in charge...
of what, I have no clue...
sounds like maybe math, soon...
XOXO

sarahssweeties said...

Hahaha. I laugh because we go through the same stuff! I did have a break on Friday, and I am struggling to get started this morning! It is time management, for sure, that is my biggest struggle.

Shelly said...

This is great! We had parent/teacher confrence last week and we got rave reviews. Great behavior and top of the class in all areas. Sailed through his first standerdized tests. I really love his school! FYI- If you or any of your readers have a Michaels craft store near by then I have a great tip! Go around the back and check their dumpster. We are finding tons of supplies being thrown away in perfect condition.

Sue said...

I was thinking maybe Dave had you writing sentences again...then I saw his comment and was convinced.

I have a certain three year old that I wish could write. I tell him that 100 times an hour...or so it seems.

I am perfectly content that Thanksgiving is a ways off. In fact, I am often daydreaming of four or five kids in school. I love the routine. I love math. I am boring. My kids are artistically starved.

Living Creatively said...

"I am not in charge"-- HA!! Totally cracked me up. I have some kids who need to start writing that.

We love Story of the World for History. And I LOVE Teaching Textbooks for math. Both my 3rd and 5th grader are using it this year. It has changed my life!!! For starters, no more grading math worksheets! WOOT! Plus the kids love it. :)

School is going well for the most part. My preschooler tries to distrupt us ALL the time. I'm about to tweak our schedule -again- so the older kids can rotate with him. Live and learn; it's a daily process.

BlueCastle said...

I'm guessing the sentences are from your 4th grader? Is it something with boys? Mine(4th grade boy) has a little "man-in-charge" chip implanted in his brain. :) It will come in handy when he's grown, but for now it's a little bit frustrating.