Thursday, September 16, 2010

happy preschool and happy books

4 is such a fun age. She is learning her letters and numbers. Loves to color, sing, "read" (look at books), play house, and play legos with her brothers.

She enjoys the shaving cream activity where you squirt it on a tray and spread it around, make shapes, letters, pictures, and generally make a mess. What is not to love. The boys still like this activity too. A stress reliever, I think.


What is great about preschool is that each day's lessons are short to accommodate the attention span- but when you put all of these little building block lessons together- much is accomplished!! One thing that has been a huge help for her is storytime with the boys. We read aloud from chapter books everyday. She has been sitting and listening to these stories for over a year now. This has expanded her vocabulary so much. I wish I had started reading longer stories and chapter books to the boys when they were much younger too. I feel like being read to has so many benefits. Our current read aloud:



The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald. I remember this book from childhood and love it.

We just got done reading:

The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Another good old book. The kids loved this one too. These both are great examples of books enjoyed equally by boys and girls. Some other read alouds we love:

All the Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood
All the Henry books and some of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary (cute website!)

This has turned into a book post!

The last 2 books that I have read personally have been good too;

Riven by Jerry Jenkins (if you read this- please e-mail me and tell me what you thought of the ending--!)

A bit of the overview: When a condemned man with nothing to lose meets one with nothing to gain,............Embark on a wondrous journey where death, guilt, and despair are unfathomably trumped by rebirth, forgiveness, and hope.



East by Edith Pattou
overview
In this retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon, the heroine has always been an adventurous spirit with the wanderlust. Though her family tells everyone that Rose is an East-born baby (known for their calm and gentle natures), she is actually North-born (known for their need to travel and see the world). Rose does not hesitate to go with the Bear and find out where he will take her, especially after learning the lie of her birth direction.
This novel contains a pleasant mixture of well-developed characters, nicely described settings, and rich emotion.


Read any good books lately? How about for your kids? I would love any suggestions!

9 comments:

Megan said...

The Boxcar Children series was one of my absolute favorites as a child. I read all 19, and now I see there are 123!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boxcar_Children_novels

Momma Rae and the Deputy said...

my parents bought this book from hawaii for the kids! i love it!

Theres a monster in my opu.

opu is tummy.... and it was written by one of their former students :) if you have been on a vacay in hawaii you would love it toooo!!!! but it is also "guamy" in its own way :)

Kellie said...

You just have to read... Miss Fannie's Hat by Jan Karon. It is short but it is soooo touching! We found it when Bethany was much younger on one of our Barnes & Noble outings and so glad we bought it! Amazon has several of "lightly" used copies! Let me know what you think!

Sara @ The Football Wife said...

Okay, so Ellie is into Mo Willems' books lately! We read "Knuffle Bunny" & "Knuffle Bunny Too" at least a dozen times a day! Plus, we borrowed Mo's "Time to Sleep Sheep the Sheep" & "Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly" from the library. She has certain parts of the books memorized and recites them -- her language is exploding thanks to all these great books! Hooray for the printed word!

p.s. I'm reading When in Doubt, Sing - Prayer in Daily Life with our new book group at church! :)

Heather said...

I just started the Boxcar Children with my kids and they are enjoying it, I thought it would be something the boys would like and was surprised my 4 yr old girl likes it too.

Montgomery Family said...

i love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books!!! They are such fun read aloud books, and perfect for your kids' ages!! Lots of giggles!

Monica said...

If you're a Beverly Cleary fan, then definitely the Mouse and the Motorcycle! That was one of my favorites and I can see the boys enjoying that as well. Also, the Chronicles of Narnia series. Glad you're enjoying preschool! :)

withpatience said...

I'm with you about reading outloud to children. My mom always read with us and both my brother and I love reading. I read with our son who is 7 and who in turn loves to read. He is halfway through the 3rd grade curriculum and is heads and tails above the other 3rd graders as far as reading and comprehension go--I truly believe it's because we read together and talk about the books! Right now we're reading The Wheel on the School by Meindert deJong. What a great story!

StacieB said...

Reading to the kids is SOOO important! I always made sure I read to my students! All the Ramona books are classic and the kids still love them! Be sure to read Ramona, the Pest :) I also love The Best Christmas Pagent Ever and The Best School year Ever- the School yr. one is the sequel. They are a little odd, but there are some great teachable moments and they are hilarious! All the American Girls books are great too. Oh, and if you get the "What every Kindergartener needs to know" they have some interesting little stories. Enjoy :)