Friday, September 10, 2010

Artist Interview: Dori of the Dreaming Bear


This is such a fun post for me to write. It is all about Dori of Dreaming Bear Designs. She is a fun and colorful mom and wife, shop owner and artist. The following pictures that I stole from her blog just make me happy. And when you see how she is painting chalkboard paint onto her kitchen cabinets you will have the same thought that I did, "were Dori and Sara separated at birth?"

I even asked my husband if we could vacation in Iowa- we have 3 reasons; Dave's good buddy Allen and his family live there, Dori and her fabulous shop, and also the Things with Wings girls live in Iowa! Now that would be a fun and colorful trip!

Enjoy the happy photos and a following interview with Dori as she explains how she got into business. Check out her super-hero-artist outfit. I am going to steal those tights!!!!!!!! How fun.


She has parties at her shop/studio all the time...there was a mustache party and a Mad Hatter party that I read about on her blog. How fun...I am biding my time- I am getting so many ideas of things I want to do- have art parties and classes just like Dori- I just have to bide my time- I am finding out that homeschooling the kids is a full time job....but there will be time....someday!


See! Look at this kitchen! Happy!


Her art is so fun.




This chandelier! LOVE IT.

The rings! Adorable!




her living room in the background........






Q- When did you first start creating? And how did you start? Was is drawing and coloring? Painting with watercolors in elementary school?
A- I have been creating my whole life. Both of my parents are pretty creative. My mom is an excellent seamstress and my dad is a pretty good artist. There were always supplies around for me to play with….and they encouraged me to experiment with lots of different things. At a very young age, I was sewing, painting, and lots of drawing. Sometimes I could get permission to hang my artwork all over the family room and I would pretend I had a store/gallery and I was selling my creations!Isn’t that crazy?!

(A+ to your parents for fostering this creativity!)


2. What is your favorite medium?
I love mixing acrylics and papers of all sorts. My favorite thing to create is collage, but I love painting furniture, and objects I find when I’mthrifting. I have a short attention span, and I’m happiest when I have several projects going at once, so I can flit a little bit.

(see, I am serious, we were identical twins separated at birth)

3. How did you start your shop?
It’s something I’ve always dreamed of doing. (obviously by my answer to #1! Ha!) I worked in the corporate world for several years before I opened the store. In the years leading up to my departure from my job, I sold my creations at art shows, and wholesale to other shops. During that time frame, I learned a lot about what my customers want, how to price things, etc. The opening of my store occurred in 2004, funded by my own money, blood, sweat and tears. It’s been an amazing experience. Iwouldn’t trade it for the world, and I am so grateful for our loyal customers who keep coming back!

4. When is your favorite time to create?
I am most energetic in the morning….so that’s when I do a lot of my painting. But sometimes I get an itch at the end of the day, and I will delay bedtime for a few hours, if I’ve got something that I really want to try.


5. Where do you do your best work?
I am lucky enough to have my own workspace above the store, where I can get some work done. And it’s great! It’s so nice and quiet up there, and I have great neighbors. I also have a space at home dedicated to my creative work. It’s in the family room, so it’s less quiet…but it’s nice to whip something up when the mood strikes.


6. What inspires you?
I enjoy surrounding myself with positive, creative, like minded individuals. There are so many people doing so many cool things! It’s amazing!

My family and I have a quirky sense of humor…we love to laugh. So I get a lot of ideas from our crazy, everyday life.


7. What motivates you?
I feel very humbled and happy when someone chooses one of my creations to give as a gift, or to hang on their wall. That is a great feeling!


8. What is your favorite color combination?
Any combination of bright colors with black and white.

Thanks so much, Dori! You have brightened our day with your happy colors! (check out her etsy shop)

10 comments:

Chrissie Grace said...

She's awesome. I love it all!!:)

Lauren said...

Oh my GOODNESS......I am soooo in love with her artwork...her store!!!! I'm seriously drooling...the painted furniture...I think You, her and I (is that even gramatically correct?) must have been fun art triplets in another life! I'm going to her blog! So inspiring!

rachel awes said...

great interview!
love those tights
& all her colors
& inspirations
soooo much!
lots of love
to you both!

Lindsay - Paint Me A Picture said...

WOW-there are two of you :) people who live in color!

Great post.

Megan Walker said...

CUTE. CUTE. CUTE!!!!!!!!

aimee @ paging supermom said...

Ahhh! I love everything. Everything. The colors remind me how HAPPY and JOYFUL life is. :)

meg duerksen said...

wow.
she looks like such a colorful happy person!

The Dreaming Bear said...

Hey Sara! Thanks so much for the wonderful shout out on your blog, and to everyone for their kind comments, and coming over to visit me in Dreaming Bear land! You guys rock!!! Cheers to you!

Jill said...

I'm chanting, "DO it! DO it! DO it!" (Come to Iowa!) Dori's store is even more lovely and inspiring in person! She makes me want to open a Things With Wings shop for about 2 minutes until i remember how much work it would be! We're hoping Dori'll want to carry some of our new line next year! hint, hint. :-) You're welcome to come to Cedar Rapids and Iowa City any ole time! We're only about and half hour apart!

Miss G said...

my question would be: where did you get those tights?