Wednesday, August 4, 2010

sillybands

I adore sillybands (you have to say it as all one word, really fast). When I was a kid I would have adored sillybands. I am sure you have seen them, but if not- they are little rubber bracelets in the shape of any cute little thing; ducks or pigs or motorcycles or princesses or hearts, you get the idea. We all have them in our house and trade on a daily basis. Even Dave. Although we don't really trade, we have just been given some loser sillybands that no one wants :)


Sadie's sad look? They don't make silly bands small enough for her. And every time she is fortunate enough to snatch one, it gets snatched away just as quickly.


Here the sillybands make a fashionable statement while doing manual labor.


Anyway, it is a fun {and cheap} fad. I love fun, cheap, colorful fads. I remember the bead fad when I was in second grade. We would put "friendship beads" on safety pins and pin them to our shoes. Then there were the jelly shoes and jelly bracelets. And stickers; I had a stack of sticker books (that I left out in the rain). For the life of me I cannot think of any other fads right now......any that you remember? Oh, I almost forgot about spokey dokes.

************************************

I did forgot to tell you when the give-away will be closed! You have until Friday Evening, Aug 6 to enter.

Lots of love,
me and my rainbow colored sillybands

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

What is spokey dokes?

I remember slap bracelets and bracelets you made out of embroidery thread that you pinned to the knee of your jeans while you were making knots to make them. Fads are fun, love all those sillybands!

Jennifer said...

Oh, I remember the beads on the safety pins!! That was cool back then!

Lauren said...

I totally loved PoP beads! 5th grade...I rocked the house with those babies! Ha! My girls love trading their bands with their cousins down the lane. Every once in a while I will find an abandoned band left for dead along our lane! :(

Heather said...

I'm 34 so if you're my age maybe you had the plastic charms that you wore on a plastic link necklace? Also the plain plastic bracelets like Madonna had. Hmmm not a fashion fad but garbage pail kids!

Danielle said...

Hey, I work for zanybandz! Do you have any of those?

joeandkris513 said...

I'm 34 too so I was thinking of those plastic charms on the plastic link necklaces as well! Also, banana clips, scrunchies, sticker books (liquid stickers were so cool!), swatch watches (where you could trade out different pieces of the band to make a multi-colored one), the Coca-cola rugby, stone-washed jean jackets (with badge type buttons, like Facebook Flair all over them), pegged jeans, layered socks and t-shirts...if I kept thinking, I'm sure there would be just as many more!
We love silly bands too at our house. Can't believe something so simple gets such huge smiles for a reward.

Anonymous said...

I was just going to say-the plastic charm necklaces! I had a whistle charm that got me kicked out of the classroom once!

Marsha said...

Ahhh, stickers! The scratch and sniff kind were the BOMB!

Julie Durocher said...

We love silly bands at our house, too! My two year old is even into wearing them, and my 10 year old already has over 60! Most of which she has traded and bought with her own money. It is fun. I've heard about moms wearing them and giving them to their kids as rewards and was thinking this would be a fun thing to do as an art teacher...but wondering if they will be banned in our school.
Anyway, love your blog, Sara! You are so creative and I love, love your art house! It's a goal of mine to start bringing some more fun color into our boring house. Thanks for the inspiration!

The Queen said...

Spokey dokes???? never heard of those!!

We LOVE the sillybands!! But I must have fat wrists cause the one I tried on made me look like I had a tight rubber band around my arm! My daughter was taught how to make the bracelets, that Stephanie mentioned, at girl scout camp this summer, it brought back alot of memories!! I was going to mention the plastic charm necklaces that Heather mentioned, I had those and still remember getting in trouble at school for constantly putting my tooth brush charm in my mouth, lol. Oh, and what about the slouch socks that you would wear over your pants, sometimes 2 or 3 different colored pairs at a time???

Jacqueline said...

I was crazy about beanie babies!! LOL...I get all the reject sillybands too! I have lots of pigs and turtles....

Bethany said...

I love sillybands too and I have my own little collection! =)
I may be a little younger, but I remember the jelly sandals, and that I fact that I never got a pair! =(
haha!