Monday, August 23, 2010

back to (home)school!

We all survived our first day - and here are all the details of a day in the life of us (I am linking to Heart of the matter)

Oh dear- I meant to get up at 6:30 and it was more like 7:00....got in the shower and ready by 7:30.

Everyone was awake and pretty excited to start school. Our 4 year old especially. She kept screeching, "The first day of school! The first day of school!"

Breakfast- we all had cereal.

After breakfast the kids did their chores while I threw in a load of laundry and spent a few minutes in Bible reading and prayer (should have been doing that at 6:30)

Then I took a little extra time to get things straightened; dishes done, some more laundry folded.

9:30 - our official start time for our first day! We start out with Bible reading, prayer, verse memory, story time, and any science/history reading that we can do together. (45 min to an hour)


Getting things organized always takes a few days for me. All of the new books and supplies are slowly finding the right places to be. Attendance sheets are taped on the inside of the cupboard.


Story time is our favorite time of day.



On hand, and in close proximity to all school related activities: the principal and assistant. I am so thankful to have these two ladies on the premises in case things get out of hand :)


Oh well! Good news! It's already time for our second favorite of the day-- snack time. Apples, pears, and........


just for fun-- fortune cookies!


Time to buckle down....the 3 get shuffled between working at the table with me, playing with educational games at the counter (photo to follow), or quiet reading time by themselves in the living room.


This work time lasts for about 2 hours. Today was extra special because it was our 4 year olds' first day and she had a great time tracing and cutting and "reading" with mom. This one on one time with her is probably only about 30 minutes and of course she comes along when we have story time/devotions/history, etc.

As the boys and I continued working on the rest of their subjects she watched Barney for a bit and then came back to color and draw at the table until lunchtime.


And our special first-day-of-school lunchtime dessert treat! Our school bus cake! There they are, our three students on their way to the Franklin School of Arts and Academics. They enjoyed making their own little cookie faces. Recipe found on family fun- the cake was 2 angel food loaves and the icing I found here.


By the time lunch was finished I was ready for a nap! It was a little after 1:00 and time for quiet time...........good work for the first day!

The 2 boys will usually have more work to finish after quiet time but today was a good day to swim in the pool. Afternoons are also when we play sports, do art projects, etc.

Hope school is going well for you and your family whether you are the teacher or not :)

Love,
me (who is going to sleep well tonight :)

17 comments:

Debby said...

I think it is wonderful that you do home schooling. I honestly don't know how you do it. Love the cake.

Lauren said...

Sounds like a great first day! I love the special cake...and you have a mighty cute principal and assistant! Ha, ha!

Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess said...

Looks like you had a fun first day! It is always hard to get back in the swing of things! haha!

Jara said...

LOVE that bus cake - too cute!

Garth and Becky said...

I loved reading about your first day of school. We start next Monday. I love all of the books/reading you incorporate. I have got to teach our 5 year old to read this year...!

Sara said...

Love it! We start our "homeschool" next Tuesday -- I'm teaching Ellie and three little boys who are all too young to go to preschool. School is twice a week for three hours. Wish me luck! I'm so excited to do this for Ellie. :)

Monica said...

I'm not sure which made me smile the biggest - the cake or the principal and assistant! :)

Laundry and Children said...

We started on Monday and there was grumbling, mumbling, and whining. Today, day 2, has gone much better. We might even go out for ice cream when we're done. :)

rachel awes said...

sara, i am deeply moved by what an amazing mom/person you are! you lay out school for your children in such an organized, colorful & intelligent way & communicate in all that how very precious they are! & you are also so sweetly honest in your need for a nap!
may blessings pour out to you like fresh joysinging rain!
xoxox

Amy said...

That principal and assistant look pretty tough!

Love when the little ones are so excited to start school. Hope it's a great year for you.

thedomesticfringe said...

Your school bus cake is impressive. I'll have to think of something special for the first day too...good idea! We don't begin until this coming Monday. I'm shakin in my boots already. ;-)
-FringeGirl

Stephanie said...

Your first day of school sounds like a success, love that school bus cake! Jackson would've really loved it! I didn't realize that this was your daughter's first day of school ever. How fun!

Momma Rae and the Deputy said...

super doooper! I will be homeschooling my MIchael too!! most likely starting soon after his adoption because we cant afford daycare once he is out of foster care.
Im so excited! he likes to draw and play with stickers and such...and he loooves books

Catherine Anne said...

Love catching up with you all~

Megan Walker said...

I LOOOOOVE CHRYSANTHEMUM!!!!!! One of my very most favorite books :)

Looks like you had a VERY successful first day! You are such an AWESOME mom & teacher Sara!

xoxo

misss_e said...

I LOVE THAT BOOK! I just read it to my after school kids yesterday! You are too cute!

Tammy said...

WE LOOOOOVE CHRYSANTHEMUM!!!!!! One of our most favorite books! We loved all of Kevin Henkes stories!