Friday, July 16, 2010

lime green, tangerine, cobalt, polka dots + the blessings of spray paint

Our bedroom has had an identity crisis. It has been a case of mismatched furniture, mismatched bedding and gray paint on the wall (not sure if it will stay). I tried to do the brown thing and it just didn't work that great for us. The dog wet the comforter a few times, the comforter got washed and lumpy, the pillows got parceled out to other rooms of the house, and pretty soon, our brown room was sad and neglected.

So I went out in search of a new bed spread and came home with polka dotted sheets!!!!

Well those sheets alone started a revolution. One thing led to another and in a matter of a few days we now have orange and every shade of blue and green.

Inspired by my wardrobe.....

And let me tell you- I am loving Krylon's spray paint. It was almost too easy- and I am sure the paint will start chipping off any day- but that will add to the allure. This is my dresser from childhood- how happy that it can stay with us and turn into something so cute I want to eat it! :)

More spray paint on the little bedside table and lamp base. Plates pulled in from the kitchen, blankets stolen from around the house.....

White fabric for the window treatments. I will be taking more photos as the room progresses- I still have Dave's dresser to paint and a shelf. And WATCH OUT everything else in the house. I never knew spray paint could be so fun (honestly, I have always used Wal-Mart's brand, but just paying 2 extra dollars for Krylon's spray paint- it is totally worth it- -good colors too!!)

I am linking up here today..........
Beyond The Picket Fence
because this all happened for under $100! The sheets + the paint + the fabric for curtains + the curtain rods= $80!

19 comments:

Lauren said...

FUN! The polka dot sheets are super! And I love your polka dot mirror too!

Kim's Treasures said...

I LOVE IT!!! So fun!!!

Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess said...

I'm loving the polka dot sheets and your black mirror! Your room is looking so fun and colorful!

mrs.pabody said...

It all looks SO awesome! I LOVE it!
Do you know of Pearl Street Interiors' Jenny K.? I love her decorating style and emailed her a question about "poly-ing" spray-painted (and brush-painted) things so they wouldn't chip and she graciously wrote back and told me about this very cool wipe-on poly that doesn't flake or chip and seals your paint beautifully! She also told me that if I am painting a light or cool color (like white or light blue) that the wipe-on poly sort of yellows a little over time. In that case she recommends brushing on minwax's polycrylic. It comes in blue and black can. It's water-based and dries completely clear. I brushed this on a spray-painted/refashioned sewing table that is now Chloe Wren's changing table and it went on SO quickly and dried SO FAST. It is totally worth it to me!! And a little went a long way... AND you can paint over the poly if you want to change the color or add "embellishments" one day! ANyway, you probably already know all about poly, but it was a REALLY helpful tip for me and when I saw you say something about chipping paint I wanted to share. :) Love you and wish you could come over for a snack and a good catch-up conversation!!!!! God is teaching me so much right now... He is so good, isn't He?!

gailsgarden said...

Okay, I have to admit that the dresser looks fabulous! Love it!!!

Jaime O said...

Just ran across these fonts...I saw the last one and thought...I have to send this link to Sara!

http://clubcreatingkeepsakes.com/blogs/ck_summer_camp_2010/archive/2010/07/16/download-five-fun-fonts-for-camp.aspx

Jeremy and Amy said...

So pretty!! BTW, I use Krylon spray paint all the time. I have been very happy with how it holds up; it takes quite a bit to make it start chipping.

lori vliegen said...

somehow i don't see you living in a brown room.....but THIS room has YOU written all over it!!! it's happy, it's colorful.....it's sara!!! bravo, girlfriend!!! xox, :))

Jill said...

ABSOLUTELY A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!!
what a happy, happy room!!!
Blessings!
Jill

thedomesticfringe said...

I've only discovered the beauty of Krylon spray paint in the last few months, but I'm never going back! It's superior for sure. I love your room. It really seems to fit your personality better than the brown. Love your colors.
-FringeGirl

DJ said...

Wow. You can really pull a room together, kid! Lovely.
(Yeh, I confess: I can't wait 'til you decide on a color for those gray walls.)
Your colors always cheer me up; a ministry in itself, I would say!
Well done ~

juliechall said...

What a cheery bedroom!!! I feel like our bedroom always gets neglected because of everything else - do you feel that way??? Anyways - I'm excited about the Krylon recommendation cause I have a paint project coming up - I just might try it. Did you sand or prep at all first?

MJ said...

What a fun room! Would you mind sharing the name of the green color of Krylon paint that you used?? I love the color and have a few painting projects that are calling my name! :)

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Oh Sara- I love it!!! It's so you!!!! I honestly didn't think the muted brown room was REALLY you even though it was GORGEOUS!!! You are so talented WHATEVER theme/genre/colors you decorate with:)

The Dreaming Bear said...

What a sweet adorable room!!! I bet you'll have all kinds of colorful, dreamy dreams in there!

BlueCastle said...

I love your bedroom. Could not see you doing anything but color and more color. :) That floral quilt is amazing - would you mind sharing where you found it? I'm in love with that print. You have done a great job and yes, Krylon is so much better. :)

Jenn A said...

I totally fell in love with spray paint too earlier this summer when I painted a dresser "oxford blue" for my boys' room. Love the green dresser!

Paige said...

Very, very cute! I want to paint my bedroom furniture, but am scared I will ruin it!

Living Creatively said...

Love the color, Love that newly sprayed dresser, the quilt, the dots, the hanging jewelry... love it all! It's so YOU! :-D