Thursday, July 8, 2010

another food post (I am on a sugar roll....)

Yesterday I just had to have some dessert(s). And it was a perfect day for it since our kids had some friends coming over. OK- 6 kids + a cake + salted butterscotch shortbread bars= not as much for me to overeat on!!!! (and no, actually, they were no more hyper than usual :)

Please try the salted butterscotch shortbread bars- they are wonderful- the sprinkling of salt truly makes them delicious- I don't know why, but they are seriously delicious (altho I didn't use the cashews- so I cannot guarantee how they will taste with the cashews)

Watermelon Cake:
1 white cake mix
1 pkg watermelon jello
2 eggs
1-1/4 c. water
1/4 c. veg oil
Combine all and beat until well blended. Bake in 2 round, greased pans at 350 for 30 min. Cool completely.

frosting:
Take one tub of cool whip and mix in a package of red jello any flavor. Put half on one layer- cover with the other layer of cake. Put the other half of the red (pink) cool whip mixture on top in a circle.
take another tub of cool whip and leave a small bowl aside to save for the white line. Mix the rest with a package of lime jello. Spread the lime mixture over the rest of the cake. Put the remaining white cool whip into a smallziplock, snip a corner and pipe out a white line between the red and green.
Add chocolate chip "seeds"
Keep in the fridge.

I need to get back on weight watchers..............................!!!!

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

That watermelon cake is so you! The colors, the dots, very you :) Love it!

Lindsay - Paint Me A Picture said...

Oh yum, send some this way :)

Holly said...

yum!

Kim's Treasures said...

Super cute and yummy looking too!

Jara said...

I love it, that is so fun! I just posted about food (sweets) today too:)!!

Laura D said...

Aren't you the lady who said you could't make food pretty?!?! Guess this watermellon cake proved you wrong, because it looks magazie quality to me!! I definitely don't think I'd be able to make it look the same.

Amy said...

You had me until you said "Cool Whip." Buttercream all the way for me, baby!

gailsgarden said...

Yummy! Wish I had been invited!

Paige said...

Very cute idea! Thanks for sharing.

The Dreaming Bear said...

That cake is adorable!! And sounds tasty too! I might have to whip one up for the neighborhood kids...so I don't gobble it all up myself! Thanks for sharing!

DJ said...

That cake is precious!
Your family is so blessed to have you.