Wednesday, July 14, 2010

all about balance

It seems that everything in life is about balance....and so often I get things out of whack.

**How much time to spend with the kids, how much time to make them find things to do on their own.

**How much time to spend on the computer...how much time to devote to God and His Word.

**How much fattening foods to eat vs. healthy foods.

**How much money to spend on fixing your house up/how much money to give to help others.

**How much to protect your children and how much do you let them find out the hard way.

**How much time do you devote to helping others vs how much time you devote at home with your own family.

**How much should you make yourself exercise...how much should you let yourself relax.

I find myself on a roller coaster ride for the most part. One week I am eating healthy foods and counting calories/points. The next I am baking every sweet imaginable and tasting it all. One week I am spending enough (is it ever enough- no) time in prayer- the next week I am not. One week I am glued to the computer screen, another week I am not.

I have been convicted by reading (again.....still) A Woman After God's Own Heart. To make goals. What kind of woman do I want to be in a year- spiritually? mentally? physically. Maybe these goals will help me keep everything in perspective.

It just seems like there are SO many areas to keep track of and if I am diligent in one area- the others slip.

Things get especially out of balance when I get a decorating project in my head and nothing can stop me. There is this inspiration that strikes and when it does- watch out! That was the way with the boys' room- all life stopped (all laundry duties ceased) until I was done with the painting- it had to get done! And of course, the laundry eventually got done, and I am happy that their room is mostly completed.

This inspiration has struck now with our bedroom and I am frantic to get a few things done in there. Meanwhile the kids are needing mama and the laundry needs mama and my husband needs his wife...etc.

So this time I am vowing (asking God for help) to be patient. To relax and realize that the entire room does not need to get painted right now. The furniture does not need to get painted right now. I do not need to have a complete before and after picture to blog about tomorrow!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1


Not to say that decorating my room is a sin that slows me down...but when my priorities are all completely focused on that goal- I am missing the point of my day which is to grow close to God, encourage my husband, teach and mentor my kids, worship the Lord, keep my house a clean and safe place for my family...

Do you have a hard time keeping your perspective clear? Do you feel like there are 100 things to try and balance daily??

((all that said- WAIT til you see the POLKA DOT sheets I got for our bed......they are the ones that started it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))

16 comments:

Laura D said...

I definitely find myself struggling with balance daily. Thanks for the words of encouragement. If nothing else its nice to know that someone else struggles with it too. And its a nice reminder that I need to continue to strive for the balance!

Laura D said...

Oh, and I can't wait to see those sheets! I have a polka dot fetish right now!

Katie R said...

totally agree, when I think I've figured out 1 thing everything else feels out of wack :) Good to know I am not the only one who struggles with being healthy both physically and spiritually

lori vliegen said...

oh my goodness.....you are speaking my language, girlfriend!!! i think that creating perfect life balance is so difficult.....and one of these days i hope to jump off of this pendulum that i seem to be constantly on!! this Hebrews scripture is a perfect one to focus on .....
xox, :))

Stephanie said...

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth! I struggle with all these same issues and it's very hard to balance it all. And it's really hard to find patience when you're inspired and on a roll, I know, I've been there many, many times!

Stephanie said...

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth! I struggle with all these same issues and it's very hard to balance it all. And it's really hard to find patience when you're inspired and on a roll, I know, I've been there many, many times!

Stephanie said...

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth! I struggle with all these same issues and it's very hard to balance it all. And it's really hard to find patience when you're inspired and on a roll, I know, I've been there many, many times!

Stephanie said...

I totally could have written this post! I completely understand. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that struggles with this. Thanks for the encouragement. I love, love, love your blog. It makes me happy!!!

Anonymous said...

Loving the thought of polka dot sheets. I'm a big polka dot geek! Looking forward to seeing "after" pictures. At the right time, of course! :-)

Montgomery Family said...

YES! I totally struggle with this! So many balls to juggle, so many GOOD things pulling at my heart and time. But what are the BEST things? Thanks for sharing your heart!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

And THIS is why no room in my house is completed:) Because a perfect house isn't a priority to me- loving my family and other people is. It has taken me a long time to realize that Jesus could care less what my house looks like:) Although it DOES need to be neat and tidy in order to keep my family peaceful and joyful- which is part of being a homemaker. Good post:)

joyfullness said...

ps ...can't wait to see those sheets!!:)

joyfullness said...

Sara..well said...i know the feeling of obsessions..my latest post..and i feel like we are alike in the way that we get so excited about seeing the end result and "finishing the race"...he doesn't ask us to finish FIRST...just to finish...and with that it is easy to be obsessed with HIS timing and not our own...
I encourage you to see all of the things you juggle as HIS things..
even down to the re-arranging of HIS home...for HE placed that desire in your heart all along..and your relationship with HIM is evidence..
You are wonderful(ly made)!!

Joyfully His!

DJ said...

Sara, my wise preacher-husband said something to me right after we got married and it's gotten me through much angst over the years.
He said that like the seasons, the moon, and other cycles, God made the oceans ebb & flow. He said there would be days when one "season" would be in place, and not the other. We would still be fine, and the other season would eventually return. He said there is ebb & flow; we would experience different feelings on any given day, but our commitment to one another would not change.
I'm reminded of the Mary & Martha story; Christ didn't want Mary to never clean again; he just appreciated the fact that she was attentive while he was there in that season.
So, relax and enjoy the abundant life Christ came to give you, in all it's seasons.

Seth & Bethany Heijermans said...

YES!!! I've felt like this especially this past week and tried to sit down and write about it but how to put it into words??? It really is so hard to balance. In this season, I am balancing being helpmeet, working outside my home almost full-time, ministries at church, creative ideas I want to do or just plain complete, etc, etc. I can identify with your wanting to whirl through a whole project, putting aside all other things. : ) Thanks for sharing.

Jessica @ Take Two Designs said...

I didn't know you were a mind reader! Seriously though, you hit the nail right on the head for me. I absolutely love my new hobby, but I am trying to find the balance. Thanks for the encouragement.