Friday, May 14, 2010

--[B b]--

On to B as we are eating the alphabet........


We took a trip to the Farmer's market and were only able to get a few things; beets are in season. Had to get the rest at the grocery store.


B is for:blueberriesbrussels sproutsbeetsbeansbroccolibananas
(we found baby bananas)

Blue place settings....paper B.....beet greens....banana bread...........
we did cheat just a little and added strawBerries, and oopsie- we got snap peas instead of beans (in season at the farmer's market) they looked so good and we have had plenty of beans in our time.


bring back the family dinner!


The best brussels sprouts I have ever had!!!!! (if i do say so myself...but it was all the recipe- this recipe- try it--the sprouts get brown and caramelized, and the olive oil & cheese just make them yummy!)
The beet greens. I have never known anyone to like beet greens, except my mom. She would make us eat the beets and she would eat the greens! (were you sparing us, or just wanted them all to yourself? :) We all tried little nibbles..........and decided they make better decorations than food....
but they sure are pretty

The grades:
blueberries our favorite!!!!! A+ from the mincy fam!
b
russels sprouts
A+ from mom, but a definite F from the rest of the family :( :( And not only did they dislike the brussels sprouts and beets and spit the beet greens in the toilet.....Daddy snuck the boys to McDonalds for a cheeseburger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
beets
hmmmm, I even made these into Harvard Beets(a sweet/sour sort of sauce)we just don't love the beets. D+
beans
- we always like beans, especially fresh and steamed- A+
broccoli
A+ for broccoli too.
bananas
- And another A+ (except from our eldest who thinks they are too squishy)

Alright- come on tell me who out there actually likes beets?!?!? (and I'm not talking about pickled beets)

And how about brussels sprouts?

18 comments:

Lauren said...

Banana bread? Now that is definitely up my alley! I soo need to try more veggies! Love your blue plates too!

gailsgarden said...

Hey! You COOK the beet greens! And beets are DELICIOUS cooked with butter on them! Brussel sprouts are also GOOD, but probably for the mature palate. Where does that put Dave? We just bought a mess of FIDDLE HEADS. I bet you won't find them when you get to F. They are yummy! A few weeks ago we had some people over after church on a Sun night for fiddle heads and maple frango. We also threw in Norwegian goat cheese (as apposed to French goat cheese which is popular here). They were all very excited with the menu. Eat your little hearts out!

lori vliegen said...

what a fabulous idea to combine the alphabet with food......who knew the letter "b" could taste so good?!! i can't wait for "c" to roll around.....there WILL be chocolate, right?!! hee hee xox, :))

Jeremy and Amy said...

I guess I am too much of a true southerner. . .I love beets (yes, especially the unpickled kind) and I like brussel sprouts :)

Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess said...

What a cute idea! You are so fun! I am definitely NOT a beet or brussels sprout kind of gal! haha!

mrs.pabody said...

I love beets. . . IF they are made into borscht!!!
But I can't seem to make it like they do in Ukraine. . . . so no helpful recipe for you.
I think this you are doing the coolest family project EVER!

Jenn A said...

I like beets, but all of my family gives them an F too. My sons list them as the worst of the foods that the don't like. I like beets plain with butter, harvard style, and pickled. They are really good if you grow your own and cook them right after pulling them up. I don't think I've ever tried eating the greens.

Monica said...

:) I had to share this post with Bobby! Dave had told the men in his prayer group Wed night about the upcoming B meal and his contemplations for getting a cheeseburger and hiding the book. I think your boys will probably be laughing years down the road about their "revolt!"
Bobby HATES brussel sprouts (I like them okay) but he will eat beets (but not me unless they're pickled!).

joeandkris513 said...

I love this idea of eating through the alphabet! We do the tasty tasty club at my house to get the kids to try new things, but some of the things you're trying are pretty far out there! I do love beets...just with butter and salt (out of the can. don't think I've ever tried fresh ones, but I'm the only one at my house who does like them. I've never been able to eat bananas, but love dried banana chips. Maybe try that on the "too squishy" kid!

Anonymous said...

LOL, yes, I agree with someone else who said COOK those beet greens. Your mom was hording them all to herself to be sure. They're so yummy and good for you. This recipe may not be good for you, but it's yummy. I've also made it with swiss chard or turnip greens.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_greens/

Stephanie said...

Beets and Brussel sprouts are good! I love all the B's on your list, not one complaint here :)

Sue said...

Wow, I thought I was going to be the ONLY one to post and say I LOVE beets and broccoli! The only vegetable I don't like is okra and I can eat that fried...anything fried is good :). Johnny asked me just the other day, "Mom, what did you eat for snacks as a kid." My reply? "Broccoli." "No, Mom, I mean like for a SNACK between meals." "Yep, broccoli. My mom used to buy me tons of those frozen bricks of chopped broccoli." He's still trying to figure out how that could be a snack :)

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

We eat brussel sprouts a couple of times a month. Our whole family loves them!!! I caramelize them in the oven. YUMMY!

Rachel said...

I've always really liked beets...a favorite is beet and goat cheese salad.

Rachel

redeemed diva said...

This is beautiful! I love the photos

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

I love it all (except beets!)Blueberries are my favorite food EVER.
Your pictures are just great!!

Jacqueline said...

I think bananas are too squishy too!:) Luke LOVES brussels sprouts!! He asks my mom to buy them all the time!

Keri said...

Calvin loves beets but hasn't managed to convert any of us yet!