Wednesday, April 21, 2010

S is for sassy switch plates

I looooove covering these little things with paper. I want to cover every single switch plate in our house......do you know how many there are in one house?? I think we have about 19 (that's counting only the light switches and not the outlets). Some of these I just brought with us when we moved.....
This is where I painted directly onto the plate.


And this one was covered by paper and then painted.


These are all covered with paper. The bottom left is decoupaged- the others are just wrapped and taped on the back.

Maybe I will make it a goal to do one a week until our whole house has covered switch plates - they only take about 15 minutes to do. Will there come a time when every single surface of our house is covered in color and pattern? (I hope so :) :)

Here's a post about mod podging fabric onto a switch plate
Then there's Martha's instructions for covering switch plates
Family Fun's got some good info and a video

11 comments:

Paige said...

Very cute!

Sara @ The Football Wife said...

I'm ready to start spreading your colors around my house! I was just thinking, if you were a doll you'd be Rainbow Brite. ;)

Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess said...

These are cute! Covered switch plates are sooo much more fun that plain ones! haha!

TheNormanFive said...

OMG! I love your blog. I to like to paint and your ideas are so creative. I'm so excited I found you. You are going on my favorites.. just wanted to share that...
Erin
thenormanfive.blogspot.com

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

Fantastic ones! I have 90% of the ones in my house done now, all modge podged. Such a rewarding art project, without a huge time committment.

TheNormanFive said...

Now I know why I like your stuff. Because I love Mary Engelbreit as well. The colors you use is so Mary.
Erin

Stephanie said...

I love the patchwork one! So cute and fun!

Monica said...

Sara, these are so cool! I remember doing that to the one's in my kids' rooms when they were small. I'd do it now, but here in our Italian house the switch plates are different. Some of them fall off the wall on a regular basis. I'll just wait till we're back in the states!

I am loving your house (and all it's colors) more and more everyday! Thank you for sharing it with all of us!!

Ruth said...

What a cute and easy way to brighten things up.

Ruth

thedomesticfringe said...

Those are super cute! I just painted several tables turquoise and thought of you. Now if I get up the nerve, I'm going to paint my fireplace mantle...maybe red.
-FringeGirl

Kristi said...

It funny you should post this. I'm in the middle of doing a makeover in my daughter's bathroom and it's inspired by your house. I covered the plates in scrapbook paper a few weeks ago and they are really cute!