Monday, March 29, 2010

taco filled pasta shells {makes 2 casseroles- one for now and one for the freezer}


2 lbs ground beef
2 env. taco seasoning
1 pkg (8oz.) cream cheese
24 jumbo pasta shells (I used manicotti shells)
1/4 c. butter, melted

Additional ingr. for each casserole
1 c. salsa
1 cup taco sauce (I omitted this because I had forgotten to buy it)
2 cups shredded cheddar
1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 cup sour cream
3 green onions chopped (I omitted these too- but I am sure they would make it even better)
*******************************************
Cook beef- add taco seasoning; prepare according to pkg directions. Add cream cheese; cover and simmer for 5 min. or until melted. This is what made the recipe delicious- I told Dave that forever on I can only make tacos with the added cream cheese---yummy!

Transfer to a bowl, chill 1 hr. Cook pasta; drain. Gently toss with the butter. Fill each shell with about 3 tbsp of the meat mixture.

Place 12 shells in a greased 9" square pan cover and freeze up to 3 mo.

To prepare remaining shells: spoon salsa into another 9" baking dish- top with stuffed shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 min. uncover- sprinkle with cheese and chips. Bake 15 min longer or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and onions.

To use frozen shells: Thaw in frig for 24 hours (shells will be partially frozen). Remove from dish.
Add salsa to dish; top with shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake 40 min (at 350) uncover add cheese and chips and bake for 15 more min.

*************************************

The reason I post this recipe is because my family loved it so much- it may not be much to look at in the photo- but when my picky 8 year old told me it was a "home run" I could not keep this recipe to myself :)

**************************************

Don't forget to enter my giveaway- see here

9 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm writing this down as I am making tacos! Yours sounds so much better! :0

Monica said...

Now you've got me really hungry! :)

Shelly said...

Yummy! That looks so good!

Pam said...

My kids love tacos and taco salad, so I am sure they would love this too! Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

This is what's for dinner later this week. Can't wait to try it. I'm a huge fan of any recipe that calls for a block of cream cheese. :)

Stephanie said...

sounds yummy, thanks for sharing!

Jingle said...

love it,
sweet!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Did you make this up? It looks DELISH!!!!!!

redeemed diva said...

I want to eat at your house sometime.