Friday, February 26, 2010

......Purple & Polka Dots, Pink & Stripes, Red Balloons & Orange Skittles....

A fun time was had by all.....4 little girls, cake, pink raspberry ice cream, purple Kool-aid, gumdrops, pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs, pink and glittery presents...what's not to like?!

(the big polka dots on the window are coffee filters that we colored with marker and sprayed with water so that once they dry, they are flat and stained-glass-like)

The cake......they never turn out how they are supposed to at our house!! My friend, Betty, made the most delicious coconut sour cream cake. I was going to make one like it and add pink to the frosting and delete the coconut (sorry, Betty!).. My cake stuck to the pans (I had greased but not floured).....what a mess! So I cut the cake into squares and threw it in the punchbowl amidst layers of the sour cream/sugar mixture and the cool whip. Dave and I were very happy with the outcome--very moist and not too sweet. The kids could have cared less- they were just thrilled about the Skittles on top. You can see the recipe here for how it is supposed to turn out :)


purple + pink + food + friends= a very happy day!

I just had to laugh and feel better about my awful cakes when I saw Melissa's post - hilarious. What has been your cake disaster story? I think God allows many of these things to happen to me to make me realize I am no Martha Stewart.....like today when we bumped the table and the gumdrop tree came crashing down breaking off branches......Hey- this is real life! Parties are meant to be messy and sticky and noisy and loud!!!!

20 comments:

Jes said...

That cake is PRECIOUS! You should have never told anyone you messed up... I was fixing to ask you how you made that. Such a cute idea, I like it better than a traditional cake.

Amanda Hervey said...

I just want to tell you that my laundry room makeover was inspired by your bright, quirky and fun style! I want my house to be an art house too :)

Thanks!
Amanda

Lauren said...

This looks like a fabulous party, Sara! ...and who cares if your cake didn't turn out like you wanted (I think it's divine)...your sweet princess will remember all of the love and fun that you put into her party! Have a great weekend!

Kim's Treasures said...

What a great party!!!

gailsgarden said...

I am quite happy that you are not Martha Stewart. Your family needs you are home! (take that however you'd like! :)

The cake looked good!

DJ said...

I for one am impressed with any semblance of a homemade cake. I think your presentation was a sign of talent, kid!
Great party ideas...
You're awesome.

Dawn said...

Sweet!!!

When I was a little girl, my mother made me a birthday cake with a gumdrop tree.

The only one I remember.

Dawn said...

Love love love the cake turned trifle. Perfect resolution, looks as if you meant to do it that way, and makes me hungry!!! (Gorgeous green curtains too, btw!)

Lindsay - Paint Me A Picture said...

No cake disasters here...my mother is a wonderful cake baker/decorator so I leave that up to her and I enjoy the fruit of her labor :)

I will say though I want to dress like the birthday girl - that is how I feel inside. Can I pull off a purple dress and green flower tights?

Staci Danford said...

I thought your cake was awesome.. I've made so many chocolate BLOBS myself that I totally understand NOT being Martha Stewart.. haha I"m sure those little gals were delighted to be a part of such a fun party..
Staci

Stephanie said...

Love all the polka dots! The cake looks awesome like that, and I have way too any cake disaster stories, I don't even know where to begin. I'm actually ordering Jackson's birthday cake next month, because I can't take the stress leading up to making the cake, really they have turned out that bad. :)

misss_e said...

The cake is actually really cute! I want to make a cake like this for my class...and do green icing for St. Patty's day! This party is so precious. I am seriously feeling the polka dots!

Megan Walker said...

Oh Sara, what a fun, fun party! Just DARLING! You are one adorable mom :)

Catherine Anne said...

U are so much fun!

musicteach said...

It was 1985. Having taken a professional cake decorating course I was quite PROUD of my accomplishments. Music theme party-sour cream chocolate cake. The actual notes on the staff written on the top for "Happy Birthday". Waterloo Street, Saint John, N.B. Canada. Carefully got out of the car, picked up the cake and the cake board gently collapsed and folded in two. Beautiful birthday cake on the street. NOT proud. Funny now though!

Jacqueline said...

Yay! She was SO excited and it looks like you guys had so much fun! Everything looked great...especially the cake :)

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

Sara, I'm having a polka dot party in April!!! I should have known that you already would have, or would be planning one. :-D
Love your pictures! The coffee filters--wow--great idea.
I bet that cake tasted delicious, even if it turned out a bit "different." Skittles on top make everything perfect.

Amy said...

Looks like a delightful day. Love the polka dot theme. My biggest cake disaster came on my dd's 4th birthday too. You can read about it here:

http://4thfrog.blogspot.com/2009/02/my-own-cake-wreck-story.html

The Football Wife said...

Two recruiting parties ago, all my brownies stuck inside the muffin cups. From now on, I serve cake ala Harris Teeter when I'm entertaining strangers.

The dining room looks amazing! I want my 30th birthday party to look like THAT! :)

Seth & Bethany Heijermans said...

I love all the colors!