Thursday, February 11, 2010

cookies, Q & A, and a movie

We made cookies today! The crushed candy in the middle melted just like it was supposed to. Little pink stained glass....(just make regular sugar cookies- cut a hole or heart shape in the middle- sprinkle in some crushed hard candy and bake like usual.)



My sweet little helper



Answering your questions:

Q- Is that a chalkboard wall in the kitchen?

A- Yes- we have several walls in our kitchen painted with chalkboard paint (as well as a little in the kids bathroom, and a section on the mantle). I adore chalkboard paint! It has been the best thing to happen to my kitchen.

Rachel asked: "When do you do your painting?? like what are the kids doing??"

A- The kids are getting to an age where I can do more of these projects during the day- during rest time in the afternoon- they all play quietly in their rooms- I get a lot done then. Also, they are playing together better than they ever have- I do not need to supervise them every minute. Mornings are when we have school, so that time is spent mostly with them, but I can do little projects here and there when they are busy with the assigned school work.

When you do a project like the pantry there is always something that gets neglected- and usually it is the laundry and cleaning....but I do have the sweetest husband in the world who does the dishes for me.....the kids, of course, are harder to neglect- they need to be fed and cleaned and taught.

When the spring fever hits and you have an urge to paint.....you have no choice but to paint! Hhmmmm, I guess when that happens I should sensibly sit down and write down what needs to be done and see if I have time to paint the pantry green. The only problem is; I am not sure if there is really any perfect time to do a project like this- you sometimes need to just do it and then deal with the mess and laundry later. Everyone still had clothes to wear at least :)

Thanks for all the feedback about the pantry! I am so happy that you like it too. I do things that make me happy- but I realize it is not like it is the latest style- I sometimes try to have a modern look, but that lasts about 2 minutes and then I clutter everything up. Coming to grips that I like my life cluttered and colorful and layered.

Thank you for the romantic movie suggestions. It made me think of this old favorite.......
Have you seen it? It is a great movie.

Also, thanks to Rachel for featuring my heart pancakes on one pretty thing. This is a great site- she finds the cutest stuff on the Internet.

14 comments:

Megan Walker said...

Awww... your cookies are so cute :) But what really tugged at my heart was that movie "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken"... I practically raised my kids watching that movie together, we loved it so much! It's been forever since I've seen it. Such an awesome movie - and so inspiring that it's a true story too!

Happy Valentine's Day! xoxo

Jennifer said...

you are so creative....even in baking. they look soooooo good!

Lauren said...

Baking with children is so much fun! I'm still thinking of trying out your Valentine's pancakes! 2 cute! :)

Momma Rae and the Deputy said...

fabulous!
i love having little ones... but someday i might have school age where i can get back to being more creative.... im jealous that my parents have had the mincy home tour!

thedomesticfringe said...

The cookies look good!

Enjoy your weekend and your romantic movie. ;-)

-FringeGirl

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

We watched "Wild Hearts" a couple of family movie nights ago(it's been several weeks). I remembered it from childhood (ok, high school) and still liked it just as well! A good family movie with no sex in it!!!!!

Kim's Treasures said...

Congrats on being featured!!! Your cookies are so sweet looking!

BlueCastle said...

Love the stained glass cookies.
I also love your style. Modern is nice too, and lately everyone seems to be in love with the all-white color palette, but there's just something about color that really makes me happy. :) Since I went with bolder colors in my house last fall, I've even noticed a change in my attitude and outlook. I just feel better. I think that's partly due to being surrounded by colors I love.

DJ said...

Wonderful job on the pantry; the cookies are yummy-looking, too!
Your children are blessed to have a mom like you...

Stephanie said...

I've never seen that movie, I'm going to have to check it out. Cute cookies :)

redeemed diva said...

I love the cookies!
And I love wild hearts can't be broken. Classic!
Thanks for sharing about the deep inner need to use chalk board paint!! :) I'm so glad that you do because your place looks great!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, thank YOU for the shout-out! I loved that movie. My sister and I watched it over and over and over again!

DJ said...

Sara, I don't have little ones around my house (grandkidss are on the way, though!:-)
but I thought of you & children when I saw this blog.
You may already know of it, but just in case your babies ask, "What are we doing today, Mom?", here is the link...I thought the knight's shield ornies were cool, and the spy party seemed neat, also...
Enjoy~

http://whatarewedoingtodaymom.blogspot.com/

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

Love those stained glass cookies!

Snatched moments for painting are like bits of sugar cookies. Divine. This is one of the many blessings of having kids close together in age. When kids play, so do mommies.

Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken is one of my daughter's favorite movies. She's slightly horse-obsessed.