Saturday, January 30, 2010

::sweet::

I found this wonderful cookbook at the library- Cook Yourself Thin. Check out the website and recipes- they are easy, interesting, use normal ingredients, healthier, and colorful.

Buy Cook Yourself Thin

So far we have made 2 desserts from the book:


:::Brown Sugar Kisses::: 11 calories each!!!!!!!!
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

preheat oven to 225.

Grease 2 cookie sheets. Beat egg whites and salt on high until soft peaks form. Add the sugar slowly while beating (my little girl loved adding the sugar a spoonful at a time) until meringue is stiff and shiny, about 3-5 min. Add the vanilla and beat to combine. Cut the corner off a ziplock , fill with meringue, and squeeze out the kisses. Bake for 1 hour, 15 min. Turn oven off and keep the door ajar. let cool for 1 hour in the oven. Store in a tin or wrap loosely with foil- don't store in plastic or glass- cookies will get soggy.

***Everyone in our house loved these***

:::Dessert Pizza::: 168 calories per slice

1/2 pound pizza dough (we made some in our bread machine)
4 large peaches, sliced
2 pints berries (we used blueberries)
3 T. flour
1/2 c. plus 1 T. sugar
2 t. milk

preheat oven to 375
grease baking sheet
stretch the dough into a circle, directly onto the pan, pressing and gently stretching to fill as much of the pan as possible (about 11" in diameter)

in a bowl mix fruit + flour + 1/2 c. sugar. Place the fruit mix over the center of the crust and evenly arrange. Leave a 1" border of dough. pull the edges of the dough up against the fruit to form a rustic crust. Brush the outer crust with the milk and sprinkle with the 1T. of sugar. Bake for 30-40 min. Serve warm.

***This was so good- everyone loved it as well. Dave did get out the whip cream- but I thought it was good even without the whip cream. I feel so healthy!!!!!! I am so glad I found this book because I have a need for sweets :) And if you can have yummy lower fat sweets- all the better!

In the mood to sew- I guess, maybe b/c we are snowed in.....patchwork heart pillow for my baby girl :) I have to say red, orange, & pink is my current favorite color combo.



We did get snow! Dave couldn't get our car up the driveway....so there it sits. What about you? Any snow? And do you like snow? How about the bundling up of children and then unbundling and then bundling again? I have gotten soft- I know you northerners have been bundling your children up for months now! I applaud you!

12 comments:

Garth and Becky said...

We LOVE snow, but haven't gotten any at all yet this year and it doesn't look like we will. It's been very rainy, though...just not cold enough for snow. Enjoy yours!!

DJ said...

Thanks for all the great info.
The only problem is: the food pics are making my mouth water, and it's past 10:30 at night! Yikes~
Your seamstress skills are impressive, too. Gotta love orange & pink together...so throwing in some red certainly doesn't hurt. Enjoy the snow~

bec4 said...

This ws a show on Lifetime--loved it. I made several recipes from the website--you can go to Lifetime site and find them still. Chocolate pavalova was a favorite and the roasted chicken was great!

Kim's Treasures said...

I think that I am about done with winter...the windchills have been nasty here...no snow though. I like the orange, pink and red combo too. I just love putting colors together! Right now I am working on an orange themed bridal shower for my daughter. I hope to start the crafting soon!

Have a great day!
Kim

Shelly said...

Since I am a SAHM I don't mind snow. The problem here in Oklahoma is we always get ice under it first! So, I have to worry about hubby driving to and from work in it.

Since we do have the ice school gets cancelled and we stay home. And my rule for playing is you can go out and play as long as you want. But once you are in then you are in for the day.

That is how I grew up and it makes sense to me!

Enjoy the snow.

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

We got about 1/2 inch of ice and then 6 inches of snow. It's beautiful, but I will not drive in this stuff!! We did go to church today, but slid quite a lot on the way there.

That fruit dessert pizza especially looks AMAZING.... Oh my!

Love your patchwork heart. So bright and happy-- so you!

Keri said...

We LOVE the snow. But we are starting to get a little stir crazy. And I've been nervous that the baby will decide to come and we will have to travel in it.

The healthy desserts look delish!!

gailsgarden said...

So did Dave have to go out to get his diet coke and THEN not get back up the driveway? Our blizzard hit on Fri and Dad was happily buzzing around town. You can't keep a former Minnesotan off the roads... until he decided that we could get plowed OUT of the parking lot. So he stayed home!

Stephanie said...

That cookbook sounds quite interesting, I'm going to have to check it out.
As for the snow, you can keep it! I like snow but it sticks around for a bit too long when we do get it. I was glad to see we weren't getting any, but I'm sure we are due for a big storm. Keep cozy!

Lauren said...

The cookbook sounds great! Your recipes look yummy! And those fabric hearts are too cute! I love the pix of the "stranded" car! :)

Elliemae said...

Love the view out your window!! I'm in San Diego, CA. No snow. Just some rain. Blue skys, 65 degrees right now. I do long for some snow though!!!

kathy said...

I only like snow in December, but you know how long a Maritime winter is, right?! I am already tired of it!!
Those recipes look and sound delicious, I may have to try those brown sugar kisses for my grandkids...thanks for sharing. One of my favorite quotes is "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" and it was on your blog where I saw that for the first time. I love it and try to live by it! Always nice to find new "thin" recipes :-)
blessings, kathy