Monday, December 7, 2009

having fun with polymer clay

This is what started all of the polymer clay fun. I saw the snowman idea on little birdie secrets and had to try it. The snowmen were so fun to make! I did not let the kids help me on these guys. Sorry kids! Mom is having too much fun! Paws off the snowmen- they are mine- all mine!!!! These are s'more snowmen- can you tell? And I'm not telling who is getting them for Christmas and what will come with them.


Alright kids, you can play with the clay now, mommy will share.....

love our 3 year old's rendition of the star and gingerbread man. And was she ever cute while she was working. Very serious job, this making clay Christmas ornaments.

We used wire for the hanger thingie. I got the cheaper clay- craft smart from Michaels. You can get lots of different colors and each little square is $1.25 (we got about $10 worth of clay and made 30 small ornaments). Sculpey, which is better quality is about $2 for a little square. But I found that the craft smart worked really well. We put everything in the oven and they all turned out great- nothing has broken--so far.



Have you ever tried polymer clay? What did you think about it?

10 comments:

Dale said...

I have used polymer myself often. I love working with it once I get it conditioned and soft enough to use. I teach elementary art and my students get frustrated with the hardness of it. Trying to condition it for 25 students in 40 mins. is next to impossible.

Shelly said...

Very Cute. I have never used it. But I like your ornaments. Great grandma gift idea!

Thanks,

Chrissie Grace said...

I just finished a mosaic using polymer clay and stained glass. I wish I was better at it, because it is so versatile.
Your ornaments came out so cute. I love the snowmen!:)
xo
Chrissie

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

Ohhhhh Ahhhhhh-- another brilliant Sara idea!! Yes, I've used it. Not lately. But now I'm gonna!!

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

Ohhhhh Ahhhhhh-- another brilliant Sara idea!! Yes, I've used it. Not lately. But now I'm gonna!!

Monica said...

LOVE your snowmen!!! And of course Skye did a great job, too. I've never used the polymer clay, but it looks like it would be a lot easier to use than modeling clay.

Heather said...

I think the s'mores ornaments are adorable! I've seen those in stores before for $7-$10 bucks each. How great that you can make some that look just as good for so much less!

Ruth said...

They are too cute!! I love working with clay but I'm not good at it. If only I could get my hands and brain to connect something great would come out of it. LOL

I am hosting a giveaway on my blog. I hope you can stop by and enter.

Ruth

BlueCastle said...

Cute ornaments! The s'mores ones are adorable. :) My boys love playing with polymer clay. I have a plastic flower pin that I'm going to try and replicate with it. Hoping it works the way I want it too. :)

Stephanie said...

I used polymer clay years ago, but now I want some too! I use to make beaded necklaces with it. Your smore snowmen are awesome. Great job :)