Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 Resolutions and How They Turned Out

Yesterday's post was all about the resolutions I made last year. Here they are and how we did...I always like to plan lots of resolutions and goals- the more you make the more you're likely to achieve! If you plan for nothing you will hit it every time :) :)
1. For God-
Keep up with the Bible reading schedule and check each day off in my book. And having said that- the most important part is that I deepen my relationship with God and talk to him each day (as He talks to me from His word).

*Thank the Lord that I was able to stay in the Bible most days. I also did somewhat better in my prayer life (baby steps) I am using a notebook now and writing my prayers to God. I know this sounds funny- but it has honestly revolutionized my prayer life! I used to have so much trouble with my mind wandering all over the place when I tried to pray- now I am writing to God- much easier to focus and seeing it all in writing has had an impact on how I pray- it shows the lack of praise and thankfulness that I tend to do, so when I see that I can remedy that. I hope that it has been a better year in that area. How can I spend so much time on myself and such little on Him?

I did pretty much awful with the Bible reading schedule. I read what I wanted to read- this year Dave and I are going to get back on track with the schedule so that we are reading the same thing most days and can discuss it. But instead of using the questions on the book (Search the Scriptures) we are going to do a list of questions....(more about that later)

2. For Dave
Take better care of Dave and iron his shirts everyday. I love him to pieces- it is the least I can do! I think I ironed his shirts half of the time in 2008....(baby steps). Next thing you know I will be ironing his socks :)

I hope I took better care of my dear husband :) But as for the shirts- WOW was that ever a timely resolution! As you know he had quit his job and worked from home this year- he only wore a dress shirt on Sunday!!!!! But I did iron that for him- so I hope that he feels like he is important to me. He deserves much more than a shirt ironed, tho :)

3. For the kids
have meaningful conversations with the kids every day. That means when they come to me when I am busy and ask me a question (like I got asked yesterday: "is there anyone in the world named Egg?") I will stop what I am doing and talk and treat these questions as very important. These are the precious times that I have taken for granted.

I have to say that homeschooling has really helped me a lot with my relationship with my kids. I sit down with them everyday for our reading, devotions, science, history, etc. Sitting with them and working and reading with them has been a treasure that I will always cherish. I already have trouble with wanting to do my own thing and not taking the time to just BE with them. We do sit and read and talk together every day. For that I am very, very thankful. Even then, I have to be careful to honestly listen to what they are saying...it can be so easy to say "uh huh" and not really listen.
*************************************************************
Homeschool resolutions
*Have an exercise time everyday- running outside, long walks, soccer, basketball, baseball, kickball, Frisbee, jumping jacks, push-ups, etc.

Oh dear! This one is not good! I try to get the kids outside almost every day. Kids need to be outside playing. But I have been bad about not doing these things with them- need more P.E. time with the kids in 2010!

*Keep the playroom clean - games kept where they should be, toys back in boxes, books on the shelves, etc, etc, etc. (this will be the HARDEST resolution to keep since it has never happened on a consistent basis in the 7 years that we have had kids).

This is funny b/c we changed the playroom into Dave's office/music room. So the kids mostly have their rooms to keep clean- this we did a little better. I tried to keep on them a little more so that things did not get so out of hand.

*Keep up with the scripture memorization

We learned almost all of the first chapter of James, Psalm 100, and some other scattered verses. I am sure we can do much better in a whole year- but I am thankful for what did get done.

*Pick at least one person a week for the kids to minister to (mail a letter, make a treat for, call, visit, help, etc...)

W
e did OK- but can do better.
*****************************************************************

Creatively
1. finish the picture book before the kids are too big to enjoy it

Got that done- now we have this year to find someone to publish it.

2. post each painting on a 2009 custom painting blog so that I have accurate record of what gets done- and just for you, Dave, keep better financial records of what is being spent on canvas, paint, etc.

All but a few got posted on there. OH NO! I did really BAD in the area of records! I think I gave you some of the receipts, right, Darlin?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Health resolutions

1. Drink lots of water

Oops.....

2. keep up with the treadmill- 3 0r 4 days a week. (last year it really helped to put a big check mark on the calendar for each time I get on the treadmill). I need at least 15 days a month to be checked. This is very doable.

Yay! Did pretty good! I went back and counted up all of my check marks on the calendar and was happy to see that I had exercised almost half of the year....170 days, or something like that- average of 3 or 4 times each week

3. Eat lots of fruit and veggies

Sure I ate lots of fruits and veggies, and lots of cake and cookies too.....

**********************************************

Still working on this year's goals.....wanting to get them in mind before day 1. Especially considering Hebrews 12:1- the Lord has brought this passage to mind several times and then Chad preached on it last Sunday......laying aside things that hinder and sins that entangle.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Good Job! I had a lady at our church that said she wrote her prayers down. I thought it was a great idea. I did it for a little bit and then let it go. Ii need to do it again. Like you said it keeps you focus and you can look back and see how God has answered your prayers. I also take notes during sermons to keep focused. Happy New Year!

Keri said...

You did great Sara! And I'm impressed you checked yourself. My guess is many people don't even remember what their resolutions were!

"Dove" said...

I'm so impressed! I love that you had the discipline to keep track of your resolutions, and follow up with your progress. Far too often I set goals, only to let them fizzle because I have no real accountability with the outcome. Your recap idea is wonderful for that. Also, it helps you see all the areas you DID cover and the things you DID accomplish. As a busy homeschool Mom, I can guilt myself easily and allow my focus to dwell on all the things that aren't getting done........good to be reminded of (and thankful for!) the progress in our lives!

I love how the bright and colorful look of your home and art always comes out in your writing too. You are always so upbeat and positive. I'm sure your home is filled with lots of fun, silly smiles and LOL moments.

Happy New Year to you!

Sun-Kissed Scholars said...

LOVE this. So inspiring!! I love that everything is so organized, sorted into categories.
The prayer writing also revolutionized the way I prayed... and then I failed to keep up with it. Thank you for bringing that one to my attention; must start again.

(...and I'm thankful that I don't have to iron shirts!)

Jane said...

Sara, Thank you so much for sharing this post. My mind wanders a lot during prayer as well. It's something that I have always felt terrible about. I could easily start writing my prayers and I have no doubt it would be more focused and meaningful.

Happy New Years to you and your family. I so enjoy my visits to this most colorful blog!

Seth & Bethany Heijermans said...

Nice job! I enjoyed reading your goals and I'm excited about your picture book. I love setting goals and the satisfaction of meeting them. I like how you divided your goals into categories. Thanks for sharing!