Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bob's Monkey Bread

The story starts when we lived in SC. Dave came home one day from the men's prayer breakfast and raved on and on about this monkey bread that Bob had made. I mean Dave would go on and on about this wonderful bread and that Bob had these secret methods to the bread making! This has turned into a huge joke and we always laugh when we talk about "Bob's Monkey Bread"

So when we were in Greenville a few weeks ago- I saw Dave talking and laughing with Bob and Lyn- and immediately knew the subject- YES- that infamous bread!

As you remember the Mayes came to visit us last week and guess what- they brought the secret recipe.
So here - for all the world to see- Bob's Monkey Bread Recipe. Step by step instructions from Dave.

First you have to crack open those little biscuit cans....(2 tins)

Cut each biscuit into quarters

Put quarters into a large ziplock and shake around with 1/2 c. sugar plus 1 tsp cinnamon. Shake well.
Put into an ungreased 7x11 glass casserole pan. Pour remaining cinn- sugar mix over top.


Pour 1/2 stick melted butter over the top (as always- you come here for the healthy recipes...:)

Bake at 350 -18-20 min.

Pour glaze over hot monkey bread (2 c. pwdr. sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla & milk to make pourable glaze)
Lick the mixing bowl.

Thanks, Bob! We ate every bite and practically licked the other bowl too!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

12 comments:

Jen said...

great idea! They make great donuts too!! I make them all the time...not good for me, but so yummy. Just break them in half and fry in a little bit of oil(I use crisco melted in a small pan to cover 3/4 of the dough) Then drizzle with powdered sugar/milk glaze. The kids like sprinkles for fun!

Sara @ The Football Wife said...

Yum! I'm on my way to Aldi's as soon as the baby wakes up. I think my tummy needs some monkey bread!

Ruth said...

That looks very yummy.

Ruth

Pop Pop & Granna said...

Very cute post -- love the last picture!

Mrs. E said...

How funny! What is it with men and monkey bread! My family loves it too!

Catherine Anne said...

yummy

Stephanie said...

I make monkey bread too, it's a family favorite here. Mine doesn't have the same glaze over top as your's does, but I use the biscuits and I also add chopped pecans or walnuts and sometimes raisins. Very yummy!

Jen B said...

That's look very, very yummy (and if it's made with love, it must be healthy...right??) My daughter would absolutely flip if I made this for her! Thanks for the recipe :-)

"Dove" said...

Oh how funny! I can't believe they let that one out of the family secret vault! :)

I love to cook, so I am forever thinking that some complicated, extreme, labor intensive recipe is going to really show my hubby how much I adore him. It never fails that the ones he REALLY raves about are the ones with canned biscuits!

.......or a stick of butter. :)

I'm off to the Walmarts today, and biscuits just made the list. It is freezing cold and rainy, so I know just the warm treat to make today!

......and the only reason I'm going to lick the bowl is because the recipe says I have to!

Keri said...

Guess what we are trying this weekend???? :)

Keri said...

I did something wrong - do you have any tips? I couldn't get the bread cooked all the way through. The top layer was delicious - but it stayed doughy underneath. Eventually we ate the top layer and I put the rest back in, but it never did right.

wild child said...

I'm gonna have to try Bob's Monkey Bread for my monkeys (actually, they are more like gorilla status now)... they will go ape over it, I guarantee! LOL!

Meg xoxo