Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Joy

We have had some really great messages at our church lately! Wow- God is good to us, He packs the Bible with scripture after scripture to teach us, encourage us, remind us, show us His love, and so much more- it is all there..all the answers to life's questions are there. Why do we mope around in a joyless state?!?!?

2 weeks ago Pastor preached on Colossians 3:11....Christ is ALL and in ALL. Is Christ all to you??? When you think of it that way- it sure makes our worries and petty arguments fade away. Christ died for us- He is preparing a place in heaven for us! All other things will fade way....

This last Sunday, Chad preached on Philippians 1:3-11
How to have jOy
1. think about what God has done for you!- vr 3
2. pray for others- vr 4---this is huge! When we pray for, and really love others- we will have true joy. This works for me every time. If I am sad and down in the dumps- usually thinking of me, me, me.....then do something for someone else- pray for those much more needy than you.
3. participation with other Christians...my notes get a little fuzzy on this one- I think the gist of it is that when you have fellowship with other Christians and want to help them and participate in their lives and struggles- this will bring you (and them) joy.
4. OUR HOPE (in God, and in our future) should give us huge amounts of joy.

Wonderful stuff here in the scriptures.

Then today I read these verses: Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
And what is awesome to me is that God brings these verses to us when we need them the most!

4 comments:

lori vliegen said...

these are awesome Scriptures....isn't it amazing how our definition of "joy" can be so different compared to God's definition?! and i love the Philippians passage....it's one of my very favorites! :))

Jane said...

Thanks for sharing this. I needed it tonight!

Mrs. E said...

You are so right on! #3 works immediately for me when I am having a pity party! Thanks for sharing!

Jara said...

WOW, that last verse was sent through you, straight from God to me today!!!!! We are waiting to hear back on a house we put an offer in on last Thurs. Thanks, I needed that today!!!! Ah, the POWER of God's word!!! I will hang this verse up in that house if I get it:)