Friday, September 18, 2009

Easy & Fun Fall Batik for Kids

I saw this idea in the Family Fun magazine- which you know I love. I did not see it on the website- but here is the fall crafts page.

Batik- a technique of hand-dyeing fabrics by using wax as a dye repellent to cover parts of a design, dyeing the uncovered fabric with a color or colors, and dissolving the wax in boiling water. (in our case we are using glue in the place of wax)


Here's what we did-
1-we ripped some white muslin so that everyone had a strip of it.
2- draw leaf shapes on the muslin with glue (we used Elmer's washable school glue)- let this dry overnight
3- water down some acrylic paint - we used fall colors.
4- wet the fabric with a wet brush
5- paint the leaves and then the background with the watered down paint. The colors will run a little.
6- leave until dry
7- soak in warm water for about an hour- and then gently scrape the glue off- it came off easily after it has soaked for awhile.
8- dry, iron, and hang up! We taped ours to the kitchen windows

I especially loved this craft b/c it was good for my 8 year old all the way down to the 3 year old- and the finished product is so pretty.





15 comments:

Pam Warden Art said...

Beautiful! You'd never think glue and watered down paint :)
Blessings,
Pam

Melissa Stover said...

i love it!

Stephanie said...

I love kid art, especially with fall colors!

Jane said...

I am kicking myself for taking that white sheet to the thrift! I was on a purging bend, but I really would love to make these with my students. I may have to go buy it back! LOL

Catherine Anne said...

So cool! My kids love it.

The Hopkins Home said...

I just saw this in Family Fun today and told the kids we should try it! I think we definitely will now that I see how beautifully yours turned out :)

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

You are awesome!!! I am SO doing this!
Their pieces turned out just beautiful!

Kylie said...

Oh these are gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing. :)

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Beautiful! I'm getting FFM now and was tempted to do that also. I photocopy all the ideas I like and put them in a "Boredom Busters" binder for a rainy day. Or a sunny day that needs livening up:) Thanks for getting me into the FAmily Fun Mag!!!!

Christie said...

I saw it in the magazine too, thanks for showing your version. It definitely makes me want to try it. I LOVE how you hung them in the window, just gorgeous!

Ruth said...

I love Family Fun magazine, too. Those came out great. What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ruth

j said...

BEAUTIFUL! I think I am going to try this with our kids!!! What fun crafting you've been up to lately...Love it!

Keri said...

What a great craft idea!! Love it.

Mimi-n-Moe's Mom said...

I am gonna try this with cloth napkins! I think they would make great gifts!

wild child said...

Oh my gosh Sara, those are SO ADORABLE and you are just about the cutest mom EVER to do that with your kids!!!

Meg xoxo