Friday, August 21, 2009

watched & read

This movie {Spirit of the Marathon} is so, so inspiring! I watched it twice through at different times while walking on the treadmill. I think I even started to run on the treadmill at one point because I was so inspired! Haha. There is something completely amazing to me about anyone who can run a marathon. Maybe because my husband ran one- and some friends, and my sister in law, and a few bloggers that I read- I don't know what it is- because I am surely not a runner. I like to walk and bike and used to roller blade and that is it- I ran cross country in college only to have fun with my friends- I HATE to run- but love this movie. Watch it, you'll see.

This movie, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, made me cry! This tells pretty much the whole story. If you watch it- please let me know what you think of the ending. Actually- that link to the synopsis really ruins the ending to be honest- so maybe just read the first few paragraphs to get the idea. 5 star rating from me even tho it made me sad :(



I enjoyed Not a Sparrow Falls for many reasons- first off, Linda Nichols has a very beautiful and descriptive way of writing. But also, the way you feel the pain of the characters and see how they view God and what they learn about God (which, even tho this is a fiction book- it made me think about how God worked in my life in a similar way- or ways that I have seen God answer prayers in the way that she described). One thing I loved about this book was that this girl comes into a home to be a nanny for awhile and completely changes a really old fashioned, stuffy, formal house into a fun, cozy, welcoming place for the children who lived there. This made me happy and I loved the messy, noisy, colorful images that came to mind.

What have you watched or read lately that has brought tears to your eyes? (either from joy, sorrow, or just because it was so bad?!?)

11 comments:

Garth and Becky said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I am always looking for awesome new books and movies and have added these to my list. I'm reading lots on boys right now..."Bringing Up Boys" and "The Strong-Willed Child" are my current picks. = ) Not light reading, but necessary.

Melissa Stover said...

the boy in the striped pajamas sounds sad but good. is it out on dvd? i hate going to the movies.

Farmgirl Paints said...

Thanks for the reviews. My best friend has been wanting to watch that Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I'll have to watch it with her.

Heidi said...

Having little boys myself I find I can't watch those type of movies anymore. I try not to even let my mind go there. I of course have read the "Diary of Anne Frank" and "Night" by Elie Wiesel. In my small hometown of Muscatine, Iowa there was a couple, the Pauls, who owned a quality clothing shop. My Mom would take me there to buy me birthday outfits and I remember asking why they had numbers tattooed on their forearms. They told me they had been children in the concentration camps. Anyway your question was what have I watched or read that made me cry? Just last night I watched "The Ron Clark Story" on Lifetime Movie Network and it made me cry. He wrote a book called "The Essential 55".

Jenn A said...

My husband and I loved Boy in the Striped Pajamas! I agree that it tells the whole story - from a different perspective than usual. I started to suspect the ending about half way through the movie. Very sad and even heavy, but fitting. I haven't read any really great fiction books lately. I'll have to see if I can try this one you recommend. I have been reading Future Men by Doug Wilson - about training boys. It is excellent, but not relaxing like a good fiction book. =)

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

I haven't even heard of any of them, but then I don't watch tv either. We do enjoy the occasional movie...but nothing that makes me cry. Maybe I'll watch the marathon one!

thedomesticfringe said...

Those sound great. Thanks for the little 'preview'. I haven't watched anything good lately, but I read Nicholas Sparks book, "The Wedding". It was very good...very sweet.
-FringeGirl

BlueCastle said...

My husband trained for and ran a marathon this May and while he was training, he bought The Spirit Of The Marathon to watch. I have to admit, I crept upstairs while he had it on and snickered at him - all in good fun - but after watching an actual marathon, I have much more respect for people who run them. There was a Vietnam vet who did the entire marathon on crutches. That made me tear up. I suppose if I actually watched the dvd, I might cry too. :)

christina said...

I read "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" it was really good... haven't seen the movie yet

gailsgarden said...

I have been reading I Love you, Ronnie by Nancy Reagan recommended by Sarah B. It is so sweet! Also Fathering Like the Father by Ken and Jeff Gangel. It is very good and we plan to get it for the dads in our church who are still raising kids.

Ruth said...

I read and watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I actually liked the movie better than the book for a couple of different reasons. Usually, I pick the book over any movie. The ending is the same in both and it is truly very sad.

I haven't seen the other movie and will have to check out that book.

Ruth