Thursday, August 27, 2009

first day of school & a cake wreck

The art room is not just for me anymore. No! I am trying to share. So here is my little station.....


Here is the reading and CD center.....


Here is the door to the art center......




Inside the art center......(it's like a very large walk-in closet size)

We had our first day of school yesterday and thankfully everything went well. We read together in the living room- did all of the writing work at the kitchen table, and then came up the art room after lunch. I got to sit at my little station while each kid was at a different center

#1- art center where they can create with any of the supplies in that corner.
#2- book and CD center- I had a book on cd that they could listen to and a few other books and flash cards.
#3 -computer center- My laptop was on the bed where they could sit and play computer games. Each kid had 20 minutes at each station and then switched, until all 3 had done all 3 centers and MOM GOT TO PAINT!!!!!! Win-win-win! I am going to switch up the stations so that they won't get bored- make sure to get new books on CD from the library, put new art supplies in the art center every once in awhile, etc.


First day snack.


Our downstairs school work area. (otherwise known and used as a kitchen table)


Here is the cake wreck!!! We made the cupcakes and had leftover batter- so we made a large green apple cake. Then we took some icing, made it pink, and tried to create a little worm......Dave said it looks like a big wad of gum, and I have to agree- gross. But the kids all fought over that and wanted to eat that worm. We should have saved that piece for uncle Mark :) If you have never seen the cake wrecks blog- it is really funny.


The cupcakes tasted really good- we made spice cake- the taste made up for the looks :)

17 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

Sounds like a great first day of school. I love your art area. You can tell a lot of creativity happens there!

I looked at that snack forever. What in the heck was the pencil?? Did I miss that somewhere:)

Jill said...

I want to be your "student"! Too cute and fun!!! :)
Blessings!
Jill

Seth & Bethany Heijermans said...

I love the stations and that you give your children freedom to be creative!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like your first day was a success!! The cupcakes turned out so cute too!

Gina Lee Kim said...

I too was looking at that particular photo. You feed your kids pencils? LOL Well...at least it'll be good fiber!

Madison said...

Nice work spaces! I wish that me and my mom had more of craft space. Well actually she has a table in her room but I have the dining room table. Me and her are very crafty and it would be nice if we had a room to create in. Hope you had a great Summer!!!

Love, Madison

Ruth said...

I think the cupcakes look great. Too funny with the cake wreck.

We started school this week but only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Next week back to full time.

Ruth

tammy lorene said...

I love the polka-dot window. Too cute! I have a giant window that I am dreaming about doing something with...one day! Oh' and the worm was kind of cute too. lol

ko said...

i mean are you SERIOUS!!!! Your creativity BLOWS MY MIND!!!!!!!

lori vliegen said...

i want to come to your house and learn some new stuff....i'll even do my homework!! i KNOW that you have the funnest house on the block!! :)

withpatience said...

Hi Sara, I tried your cupcakes with the chalkboards on them for a school treat. Mine didn't turn out quite like yours--it was too hot for thick luscious frosting, the frosting was so thin and runny it was dripping off the knife;-)~ so I just laid the choco grams down like slates. . .it worked and should be very yummy. Thank you for the great idea!!!!!

The Metcalf family said...

Sara Mincy...you are in BIG trouble! What were you thinking pointing us to a site that would eat up more time in a busy mom's schedule?! I spent WAY too much time at the computer cracking up at that cake wreck site...(and completely enjoyed every second of it.) =D

Good job on making the first week fun and so creative! What a good mom you are!

Keri said...

Success for the 1st day! Such a smart idea with the stations! Those kids have one smart teacher.

Mod Podge Amy said...

That's awesome! I totally want some worm cake!! :D

Wendy said...

Love the 'stations' and the snacks- very cute and fun!

wild child said...

Oh girl... to be young and have your energy and enthusiasm! LOL! Your kids are so blessed to have you as their mom - and their teacher! What a great first day of school - I'm sure it will be an awesome year!

Meg xoxo

Julie said...

What a fun day you all had!