Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Pretzel Recipe

















Mix 1 1/2 c. warm water with 1 envelope yeast, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp sugar. Add 4 cups flour. Knead 5 times (I just did this in the large bowl- you don't even have to get it on the counter). Cover and let rise until doubled. Divide the dough into individual balls. Roll each ball into a long rope. twist into a pretzel shape. Place onto a greased cookie sheet. Brush each with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt (of course I didn't have that laying around- we just used regular salt- but next time I am going to try butter and cinnamon/sugar for a topping). Let rise until doubled. Bake at 425 for 12 minutes.


This was so easy and really fun for the kids to make. They taste perfectly chewy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The hardest part is waiting for them to rise - but I think both times took about 45 min. Dave said they tasted just as good as real ones....but I think they are better!!

18 comments:

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Oh wow- thanks for sharing!!! I bet that dough makes good beignets too!!!

kristina said...

WOW!!Those look yummy!!I wish i could have one!!I like how they are all diffrent shapes,its cool!!
your frinde,Kristina

julie king said...

mmmmm looks delicious. i think i'll make these with my 4-year old granddaughter this weekend! thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing...these will be fun to make!

Keri said...

I'm so far behind on blogs - my own and reading everyone elses! So glad I checked yours today. This looks yummy. I haven't met a recipe of yours that I don't like yet!

Steph said...

Yum!!!!! Those look fun to make!

lori vliegen said...

how fun!! i love all of the "un-pretzel-like" shapes, too! great idea! :)

Madison said...

Sara those look sooooo good! And just to let you know you have made me in LOVE with your blog and art! You look like souch a cool person to know!!! Have a great day!!

Love, Madison

Stephanie said...

Oooo... I need a good pretzel recipe, thanks for sharing. They look yummy:)!

Madison said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog!!

ko said...

cant wait....thanks for the RECIPE! :)

Hattie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have to say that I love your art. It so nice when something is both beautiful and meaningful!

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

Mmmmmmm!!! Looks so yummy!!!

Adrienne said...

these look fun and easy... like something we'll be making in my classroom next fall. thanks for sharing.

Wendy said...

Yum- thx for sharing this!

joeandkris513 said...

Yummy! I've been looking for rainy day projects and this is going to be our next one!

Pam said...

Here is the link to the recipe I use:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buttery-Soft-Pretzels/Detail.aspx

After they come out of the oven, I brush them with melted butter to really bring out the golden color and make them shiny. Also, you only have to let them rise one time, for about an hour. (I know that step with the baking soda solution seems strange, but it gives them a nice even brown color without the egg wash.)

Gina Lee Kim said...

Hello Ms. Talented-Sara,
Thank you for sharing! I'm embracing the fact that I will gain 5 lbs. (and burn my tongue) after trying out this recipe.