Monday, July 20, 2009

cooking with butter--couldn't be better.....

I have a lot of cookbooks and cooking magazines. It gets a little overwhelming. Have you ever decided to try a new recipe, gotten all of the ingredients and then couldn't remember where you saw that recipe? (OK all of you organized people stay out of this :)

So my big idea is to take one cookbook per week, look through it and make the week's menu using this one book. It has been fun and made us branch out and try new things.

This week it has been the Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys & Girls- the 1982 edition. (Liz B. do you remember Beth giving this to me for a b-day gift???....what a great gift along with bowl, spatula and ingredients to make the marshmallow puffs)

The recipes are fun for the kids to make and reminiscent of childhood treats of the 80's. My kids liked the idea of the Porcupine salad - but didn't like the cream cheese mixture on the bottom- so if you make it; you could leave that out- the photo tells the important details- the quills are slivered almonds.
The marshmallow puffs are good. I have to share the recipe with you. This is the kind of thing where if you are desperate one night at about 9:30 and have no treats, you could make this and be happy :)
Marshmallow Puffs
18 large marshmallows
36 Nilla wafers
3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp. butter

Cut 18 marshmallows in half with scissors. Arrange the Nilla wafers on a cookie sheet. Place one marshmallow cut side down on each wafer. Bake at 350 for 4 minutes (until marshmallows puff but before they begin to tip over). Refrigerate the cookies on the cookie sheet for 10 min. Heat the choc. chips and butter over low heat until melted. Dip the tops of the cooled cookies into the chocolate mixture. Refrigerate 15 min. until set.


Italiccutting the marshmallows

(I just found out via spell check that it is Marshmallows...I ALWAYS thought it was marshmellows)
**************************************
Now it is Monday morning and I am on a diet again (every Monday morning I start off strong and then it goes down hill from there :) :) Hope you have a fabulous Monday- eat at least one treat :)

16 comments:

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

YUMO!!! Looks tasty!

Momma Rae and the Deputy said...

I love that one cookbook a week idea!!!! how neat! totally want to try that.....

Dawn said...

Hey!
We have that one!!!
My girls could comment more fully on the recipes contained in that one...
:)

Sue said...

I almost always forget where I see recipes. I have taken the ones that are super big hits with my family and put them in my own notebook, organized by food type so when I want something familiar and easy I get my red notebook out. It's usually something THEY liked eating and I liked making (few steps, ingredients on hand, tasty, etc.)

By the way, I have a Betty Crocker cookbook given to me as a wedding gift that I lived by and LOVED! The pages are getting brittle, the binding is falling apart, and there are stains on every page but what a treasure!

And, wow, a super easy, fun treat that my kids can eat (no allergens) and would LIKE and could help make. We'll be trying that one soon. Thanks!

Stephanie said...

Those porcupines look tasty and so do the marshmallow puffs. What is the yellow part of the porcupine?

Justin, Jake and Jenna's Mom said...

You crack me up! Those look very fun, thanks for sharing.

~Tricia

lori vliegen said...

i love your cookbook idea....and those "vintage" recipes are the best! everythings bettah with buttah!!
:)

musicteach said...

That cookbook has been around. Wow! That was a gift inspired by the Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook that I got for a wedding shower present in '72. It's lovingly food stained too. It has just been reprinted so I got one for my girls
last Christmas. Long live AUNT BETTY! LOL

ko said...

mmmmmmmmm...that sounds delish!

Farmgirl Paints said...

I'm having a hungry day and you're NOT helping:) I copied that to my someday file. Looks so yummy.

Jill said...

YUM!!! Thanks for sharing on the "reading" a cookbook...then forgetting where you found the recipe! SO me!!! I'm trying your idea...maybe that will help! :)

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

Ha!! I did that TODAY! I know I have a great red potato recipe around heer some place. But alas, I couldn't find it, and went with something totally different.

We just found an adorable cookbook holder thing-y for the kitchen, and I'm going to steal your idea and rotate my cookbooks on it!

The food looks scrumptious! Mmmm... marshmallows...

Keri said...

Oh my goodness, your recipes are awesome. How about a cookbook????

knack said...

oooh...the marsh mellow treat looks so yummy!

Ruth said...

That sounds so yummy.

Ruth

Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue said...

Love the salad and those marshmallow treats look really yummy!