Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Library::Children's Section


We absolutely love to go to the library. Where else can you see and handle fantastic pieces of art by many, many different artists? When we brought these books home this week I enjoyed looking at the art so much that I had to share with you.

First off, one of my favorite author/illustrators; Lucy Cousins. Maisy is like a friend to us. We know her and love her little mouse self. We love her little outfits and her funny friends. Happy, happy pictures!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This book; Waiting for Mama by Lee Tae-Joon & illustrated by Dong-Sung Kim, was new to us. We loved the gorgeous pictures.






::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Another favorite; Lois Ehlert. Wow- each book of hers is a masterpiece. I love her collages. Just reading through this book makes me want to drop everything to go and create something!


Here is Lois Ehlert herself in an interview.

Have you found any treasures at the library lately?

14 comments:

Beth said...

Ooo, I love Lois Ehlert, but I have never seen that one before! Thanks for the heads up!

Jill said...

I LOVE Lois Ehlert too!!! and i have always thought it would be SO fun to do a children's book! I just LOVE children's book's...I think it's the great pictures! :)

Ruth said...

Oh! Such great books. We love the library here, too. It's so much fun.
Ruth

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

I've never seen that last book before!!
I do so love the library, too!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Oh we just went to the library yesterday. Love the library! I don't know if we got any "treasures", but I love to look at children's books. It must be our artsy side that is drawn to that.

Sue said...

Your art style would make excellent illustrations for children's books. Have you thought about it? I'm sure you have nothing else to do ;)

Stephanie said...

Loved these books thanks for sharing. There are so many wonderful children's books, looking forward to exploring the children's section of our library real soon.

Sara said...

First, I love that one of your children is weaving at the table in the background of your picture. :)

Favorite books: "Roxaboxen" - if you can't find it, I'll send you a copy. Illustrations feel like Grandma Moses, but the story is the exciting part. I can't read the last page without getting choked up.

Another new favorite is "Knuffle Bunny" by Mo Willems. My favorite line is, "Trixie went boneless." I'm sure you can guess that she's having a tantrum!!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

I LOVE kids books. And teen books. And grown up books. And the bookstore. and the library. Posts like this are always my favorites:) We went to the library today and checked out some books on SUMMER and INDEPENDENCE DAY. We heart reading!

Paige said...

What fun books! Thanks for the reminder to go get a new library card!! Hee hee..

Shelly said...

I am so excited story time at the Library start tomorrow!

Momma Rae and the Deputy said...

we took our boys to the library today too!! we got tons of interactive books--my fave.

lori vliegen said...

i just love getting lost in kids books! when i go to the bookstore, i head straight for the kids' section (and my kids are now adults!). these books look like they're a lot of fun! :)

Jen B said...

I love going to the children's room at the library! In fact I don't mind going there without my children--that way I can stay longer : )
One of my favorite illustrators is Melissa Sweet. I love her hand lettering, watercolors and vintage elements collage style. Her book "Carmine, A Little More Red" is adorable.
Happy Reading (and painting)!