Thursday, May 21, 2009

Oh My Word!


this post from a year ago....cracks me up because I am in the exact same place I was then!

Today was our first day of summer vacation. We have a concert this weekend, so I needed to get packed and do laundry and clean house, etc. Even though I warned myself NOT to do this- I did it--meaning I expected the kids to do their own thing so I could do mine. I, I, I!!!! Anyway, funny how I was looking back in the archives for something and found the post that I needed to read.

Please, Lord, have mercy on me! (I know you will, thank you!!!)....please remind me to stay in Your Word! Remind me to live for others first! (as I tell my kids to do....)

When we get back from our weekend I am putting the plan into place- the tentative plan is: Mondays --art day
Tuesdays--field trip day
Wednesdays--story time at the bookstore
Thursdays--park day
Friday--water day

This way the mornings are planned and the afternoons are free for us to do our own thing while the 3 year old naps.

All I know is that there needs to be a plan (how many times have I said that in the last month?). Desperation is setting in. Funny how this happens even though we homeschool all year and the kids are home anyway- but you know what- when we homeschool we have a plan!

Do you have a plan? What are you going to do with the kids this summer? I would [obviously] love any ideas :) :)

10 comments:

Shelly said...

I like your schedule. I am the same I have a one year old that takes naps. We will have story time at the library on Wednesdays. We also have two weeks in late July for swimming lessons for my 4 year old and two weeks of VBS at our church. And then 1 week of Vacation in Branson.... Man I guess we will be busy. We are also going to start movie days with our friends. We all get together and watch a kids movie. That should be fun. We have the park, zoo, museums... but of course that is money. I wish I painted and craft more with my son. Maybe I will do some of that. Have a great summer.

Chrissie Grace said...

You are forcing me out of denial!!
I'll be working on our plans this weekend and I'll let you know. It's so hard with four that age in range from 10 months to 9!
Thanks for getting me into gear!:)

Paige said...

Love the schedule! Hope you and your family have a great summer.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting near grandparent years but looking back, we stepped back and tried to keep things simple. Making our own slip-n-slide, reading a good book on a blanket under a shady tree, shadow puppets at night, catching lightning bugs, throwing pebbles in the air to watch the bats dive for them, making shapes out of clouds as they drifted by, back-yard campouts, fossil and tadpole hunting in a creek. We crafted and tea partied and play-dated too but taking a deep-breath and savoring the beautiful creations God made is what it is all about. Enjoy!

Mimi-n-Moe's Mom said...

sounds like good fun!

squeeze the zoo in if you can. lots of zoos have annual fees and that way you can go a lot without having to pay each time! and that way you don't feel obligated to see everything!

we try to play outside as much as possible.

Stephanie said...

I myself always work best on a schedule so I can imagine it would make for a much more enjoyable summer. It sounds like it will be a nice summer, enjoy every day!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Wow. I've never heard of anyone planning their summer days out like this. Sorry, guess I'm not the person to ask, I'm just very spontaneous- but you know my homeschooling style is not really to your tastes either:)-it's all over the place! We definitely do bookstores and the library, museums, Farmer's Market, pet stores, fishing/hiking, pool,discovering parks and playgrounds all over our area,etc. Anything that is handicapped accessible:)

Keri said...

Did you know White Oak has free kids movies during the week? Caleb and I are going to check it out sometime. He has never done a movie, but I figured it is worth a try and free, so who cares if we only last 20 minutes? I'll send you an email with the info.

Cindy said...

Wow summer break is quickly approaching for us. I haven't given this summer any thought. It's going to be a weird one. With hubby out of work and trying to put a business together we don't know which way is up.
You are lucky that you can look back on the year in your blog. I lost my blog this week. Blogger removed it. I think it was hacked and blogger yanked my blog.

I have started a new one with a new direction. I hope you'll stop by.

Chalk it Up!

Crafty P said...

great ideas! I've been meaning to work on a summer plan now for WEEKS! SUmmer just started for us this week.

My thoughts were to focus on a theme each month and then plan activities to reinforce that. Right now I'm working on a Faith-Hope-Love kinda theme to coincide with each month of summer. Want to make sure our summer doesn't slip by without some good faith and family time! It would be very loosely planned and enable lots of spontaneous play dates or do nothing kind of days depending on weather, etc.

BUT, I wanted to have a plan... this motivates me to get it started and to blog about it! thanks always for the inspiration!