Wednesday, April 29, 2009

:::organization:::



If you have been visiting this blog for any length of time you know my frustration with organization. You know that we will happily go about our life and craft& learn & read & shop at many thrift stores and yard sales & collect & create & put things on the walls & collect some more until BAM!!!! Sara cracks and goes crazy with all of the JUNK!

That is what happened today when I walked into the boys room and found dirty clothes stuffed into drawers and little piles of legos and trash stuffed behind dressers and in the closet.

HUGE goal for this summer- organize the boys (and girl) room and the playroom so that everything has a place to go...then (this is the REALLY hard part and something I have not gotten the hang of in the 7 1/2 years of parenting) we have to BE CONSISTENT with putting things BACK where they go!!

OH DEAR. It is so hard for me because I really want my children to be creative and to arrange their room how they want to, keep some art projects, etc, etc. But it has come to the place where I cannot function in the chaos. I cannot let then keep all of their projects. I cannot let them keep every lego creation set up in their room.

I am hoping that if I get things organized this summer and if I get everyone else to keep things the way they need to be- that by school time in the fall we will be able to maintain and not go insane!!! (that should be our motto- maintain and not go insane)

How about you? Are you able to keep the house organized? Does it take a once a year break down and day where you go crazy and throw everything away? Do you want to come and organize my house??

14 comments:

Megan said...

I feel your pain.... I have to keep cleaning things out... I use flylady for some ideas. i also use Freecycler to get ride of things:)

chickadee@afamiliarpath said...

i cannot stay organized. my house can barely stay clean. my goal every day is to have the kitchen sink clear, the tables clear and one load of laundry done. everything else i do is just bonus.

Anonymous said...

There are days that I am so overwhelmed by all the "stuff" that I secretly wish for a bolt of lightning to strike the house, give me enough time to escape the ensuing fire with the kids, computer hard drive, passports and my purse! Start over with a blank canvas (without having to have done all the hard work of organizing!)! Simplicity...Serenity... Sanity...okay, back to reality...those shoeboxes of old photos aren't going to organize themselves. And the 15 rubbermaid containers of the kids keepsakes from when they first started school aren't disapperaring...I feel your frustration Sara.

lori vliegen said...

well, i must admit that as you were describing your kids room, i thought that maybe you had seen my studio, because it's in the same state of chaos!! i love your motto of "maintain and not go insane"...i'm going to repeat that each day as i try to walk through my studio without tripping over anything! :)

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Hi Sara! I was just at a homeschool convention and a bunch of mom friends told me to try some posters at Doorposts...so I went to their booth and they have these awesome either wall posters or small ones you can laminate. It's a chore chart http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=25 called "service opportunities chart", blessing charts, etc.. Check it out because maybe it will help with actually organizing the kids to be organizers. We're starting ours soon. They are so cheap too. Let me know what you think.

Stephanie said...

I too have those days! I need organization in my life daily or I go nuts and once in a while all that stuff creaps up on you and everythings a mess. I get into a cleaning and organizing mood and start at one end of the house and work my way to the other, the only problem I find is that by the time I get to the other end, where I started is already messed up!

Tina said...

My office is the dumping ground right now and I have big plans for it. Paint, organize and decorate with that amazing print I got from you. I just hope I can get to it before schools out.

Sue said...

I stay fairly organized but not nearly as organized as I would like to be!!! Organization means cleanliness (I mean super clean, we are not slobs) plays second fiddle. With four boys, however, I find it easier to stay organized than to stay sparkling clean. I am constantly barking at them to put things back where they belong and the older boys currently have the job of cleaning up every night. My best solution is keeping very little of anything hence my spartan house :)

Jennifer said...

me? organized? if you find a secret, let me know!

Keri said...

Sara, I used to be the organization queen! Since Caleb came along I haven't had the time -I go into a frenzy about every 3 months and have to organize something - a closet, drawer, something and then I feel better. If you get any great ideas, let me know.

Jill said...

Oh Sara- I can REALLY feel your "pain"- I am in the same boat and sinking...that's my summer goal too... and my studio??!!! well, currently only a small floor space is NOT covered...I simply must tackle that too...good luck- and please share any and all ideas you come up with! :)
Blessings!

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

Sara, I think we live very similar lives: learn, read, craft, create, play outside, read some more.... we gather and gather, make and create, but we rarely purge or organize until a major spree is in order. sigh. I have got to find the balance and discipline with my time. It just seems that there is always something "better" to be doing.

Laura D said...

I think organization is hard no matter what stage of life you are in. I am currently trying to go through our apartment,again,"as if we were moving." Even with a small area and only two people to mess it up we are contantly needing to organize. I wanted to get it all finished over spring break, but sadly it didn't happen. I'm amazed that every time I organize I have so much to give away. How do we have anything left...but we still have a ton of stuff!
I do find once things are organized they stay that way for at least a week, maybe a month or two. =) Messes seem to breed other messes. Hope you have success in your quest to "maintain and not go insane!"

Pam said...

Oh, I totally snap and go on a purging rampage...about once every couple months!