Sunday, March 1, 2009

prayer

I stole this little prayer from my sister in law, Trish, who has it as a tag ending on her e-mails (I know she won't mind me sharing it)

Dear God, please, please give me an insatiable desire and thirst for Jesus, for Your Word, my Savior. Open my eyes that I may see myself as You see me, that I may see and love others from Your viewpoint, that You would be the absolute center and guiding light of my life. Refresh my daily walk that I may walk with You in quiet places, in heavenly places, and throughout all of life into eternity. Thank You, God, my source of life and comfort and being. Bless You, Lord. In Jesus' name, amen. (PrimeTime with God, February 16, 2008)

Isn't that beautiful? I believe and want to pray all of those things-
*to have a desire for Jesus - always!
*to desire God's word- always!
*That I would see myself and others as God does?!?!! Wow- wouldn't that change my life if I could completely do that.

Lately I have discovered that I cannot pray quietly in my head. This works sometimes when I am walking around or have just a really quick prayer, "Lord please help me to stay calm and not blow up at the kids!"

But when I am reading His word, and then want to pray and worship the Lord and give Him praise and ask for His mercy and forgiveness- I will start to pray and quickly lose focus and then realize that I have been sitting there for 10 minutes thinking about everything other than God!

What has helped has been to write out a prayer- sort of like a letter to God- or to pray out loud. It helps- I wish I could say all of my prayers are as beautiful as the one that I stole from Trish...but many times it is, "You know, right, Lord? You know exactly what I need in this situation and I don't know how to even pray about this."

And He does know!
What has helped you to have a good prayer time with the Lord?

On a totally different topic- here are the first wedding vows I have ever painted.

12 comments:

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Love the vows, what a special wedding keepsake. I need to pray out loud too, most of my prayers are like a stumbling and bumbling pouring out of my heart. It can get messy!

Tricia said...

Oh~~that prayer has really meant a lot to me recently. I'm glad you decided to share it.

I totally agree with losing focus while praying, I get so frustrated with myself! Great idea to write them down, it will be a treasure in the future.

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

Beautiful painting!

Prayer time...I set aside time to go in my room, kneel on the floor and pray OUT LOUD. I end up so focused that I will pray for a VERY long time about everything and everyone in my life. Who cares if the kids hear? They need to know that I talk to God and that He hears! I agree with you- I cannot pray in my head for any length of time because I get easily distracted and off focus.

Chrissie Grace said...

I think this is my favorite piece you've ever done... I love it! It is so beautiful!!:)
I pray myself to sleep every night, for as long as I need to let my mind go to HIM...
:)
Chrissie

Sara said...

I should journal to God because my prayers often start out well intentioned and then I find myself questioning how many vegetables I've eaten this week & what life would be like if I could just figure out how to invent something and never have to teach another piano lesson!

K said...

Seriously, you are going to get a ton of requests for this painting!!! How beautiful...and thank you for sharing the prayer!

ByHISgoodGrace said...

I'm totally stealing that prayer too...so it's me stealing from you stealing from...you get the drift.
That is really a heart felt prayer that I need to pray.
Thanks for sharing.

Keri said...

Thank you so much for sharing the prayer. It is exactly what I have in my heart sometime, but have a hard time getting into words. I do the same thing, Sara! I start out praying and find myself thinking about something off the wall. You give me such encouragement when you share these things!

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

I was just thinking about this last night, and had missed this post!! I sat up in bed to pray with my eyes focused on something ahead, because I was having so much trouble just focusing. My mind works a mile a minute, and it's hard to "be still" before God and just listen, focus, pour out my heart. I used to journal, and I've recently fallen way behind. Time to find the good writing pen again!!

Love the prayer. So amazing, heartfelt.
And I love your vows painting!!

Amber said...

The one of a kind painting of the wedding vows is so special! I have a sneaking suspicion it won't be your last! ;)

Sarah said...

What a great idea--to have your vows painted for you! You did a nice job (as usual....)

I have a journal that I write out prayers, of sorts, after doing my devotions. You are right--it does help me to articulate my thoughts much better than talking sometimes.

When I am praying for people, I try to visualize them and their family. It helps me stay focused on praying for their needs. :-)

Heather Kvale said...

Sarah, I LOVE this. The colors are what caught my eye. So cheery! One of my favorites!