Tuesday, March 3, 2009

plans

Our bedroom is having an identity crisis. I have never spent a lot of time figuring out what needed to be done in there, so the poor room has been neglected. I did a painting for Dave, but now I feel like that color scheme is just not working. We can move that painting somewhere else- like the upstairs hallway or Dave's office.

Here is the deal- the walls are a light grey. The carpet is grey (a berber and quite new). Our furniture is nice wood furniture- light wood color. I like our bedspread and it is in good condition- denim. I really do not feel like painting and want to leave those basic things. So I have decided on browns and greys. That sounds a little muted for our house, but as you can see by the picture- there are a lot of fun patterns out there in those colors. My budget for this project is very small.

My first plan of action- pillow cases and pillows.
#1 trip to Goodwill- scope out the pillows and pillowcases
#2 trip to target/TJ Maxx/Ross
#3 beg my mom to sew some pillowcases for me if I can't find any

I am thinking a lot of pillows in brown/white/and gray prints will make for a cozy bed, and start the room on it's way to the new personality.

Second: New painting above the bed. This one will showcase the words to a song that Dave wrote for me (That's What Your Love is Like to Me)
#1 Look for a Michael's coupon so I can get the canvas half off
Or #2 Think of something else really clever to paint on....

The bedside table needs to be redone.
#1 Go to Archivers with the coupon from an e-mail today and buy some patterned paper in the browns
#2 decoupage the top of the table and drawer

Repaint the Mirror

Repaint and decoupage the bench

Cover the lampshade with paper.

Cover mini blinds with fabric as seen here. I think this is the best idea I have seen in a long time.

I have that bee in my bonnet that tells me this is going to start happening sometime soon. I really need a break from the kitchen. The stove back splash will have to wait.

Honestly, our bedroom needs some attention. It is not the cozy place we want it to be- I am hoping that some pillows, paper and fabric can make a big difference for little money.

Estimated cost:
decorative pillows, pillowcases- $20 (hoping Goodwill pulls through for me and maybe a good sale)
paper for lamp, table, bench-$10
fabric for mini blinds- $20
fabric glue for the mini blind project- $5?
canvas- $10 (with coupon)

$65--- can we do it???? I will let you know.....

14 comments:

Pam said...

You are inspiring me! With my new-found sewing prowess, I just might make some new pillows for our bed! (I finally posted what my secret sewing project was!)

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Well, I LOVE your taste, so I'm sure it will be incredible, no matter the budget! Looking forward to pics!

skB said...

Sara, I think this sounds great. And I've done the blind thing--for our bathroom. It turned out beautifully. I didn't use a mini-blind though--I used a rolling shade--it was $2.95 at Lowes--and they cut it to the exact size of the window for me. . .loved how it turned out. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

MJ said...

What about finding an old door to paint on? Have you seen The Nester's blog and the door she has hanging over her couch. Just a thought! Might me something unique! :)

Angela Monique Brewer said...

I like the blind idea!

gailsgarden said...

The mini blind thing looks good. I made a roman shade for our bathroom. I am very happy with the finished product, but it was a REAL pain to make. These look so much easier!

About pillow cases. Let me know. I don't have anything else to do but cater to my daughter's whims. Heehee! (saying this as I am surrounded by my computer room organization project. Ah-eee!

thedomesticfringe said...

I like the idea for your bedroom. Seems like it will be very calm and relaxing...perfect! Can't wait to see the finished product.

-FringeGirl

Jill said...

keep us updated, I'm SUPER cheap. so I can't wait to see what you come up with. LOVE goodwill. the miniblind idea is neat - hope that works out.

Sara F. said...

Oh my gosh--that blind idea is fabulous. I've been "mistreating" my windows and I was thinking that my mini-blinds looked pretty awful next to my wonderful mistreatments. Yeah--an excuse to buy more inexpensive fabric! I can't wait to see what you do with more subtle colors!

Tammy said...

Oh how exciting! Can't wait to see the pics! Hope you have good luck with the thrift finds & sales!!

Stephanie said...

I think it sounds very doable and affordable! What about adding a couple pillows in turquoise and orange to punch up the neutrals a little? By the way, grey is Kim Myles' (of HGTV) new fav color.

Lacy said...

Great plans! Hope you are well. Hope you get off cheap and cant wait to see!

blair said...

have i told you how inspring and amazing you are? i have? oh...

but HOLY COW!!! Budget Decorating = A+!

Keri said...

I bet you can do it - under budget and beautiful is my guess!