Friday, March 6, 2009

The Lazy Decorator

The room is coming along--all those little details now- like figure out what kind of curtains I can make with my pretty paper (just kidding- even I would not try that...). But I did make this lazy version of a decoupaged canvas. Tape works great! That worked out so fast that I made another one.....

Just a black painted canvas with paper taped to it. Just remember - beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) This shelf needs some chocolate brown paint.

These tan linen curtains were stashed in a closet- so we will see if anything can be done with them. Brown paint + paint bottle stamp= more polka-dots! I am going to put these up- but still keep a lookout for more fabric to cover the blinds with.

I will keep you updated on my progress. I am trying to be careful- to be honest I would love to work in there all day- painting, decoupaging, decorating, etc, but my family does need to eat, and they also need clean clothes; all those little details :) That's OK- they are more important!!!

Big news- our new little puppy is coming home tonight!!!! It is good timing - our poor little sickies need to be cheered up. We have one with croup, one with an earache and another with a pathetic little cough.

Hope you have a good weekend! If you are bored and want something fun to do- look around at your furniture and pick a surface to decoupage- it is so fun- so easy!!! Painted wood is the best and easiest thing to decoupage (that is what I did to the bench for the one who asked about it). Just cut out squares of cute paper, paint on your wood a thin layer of Mod Podge, stick down the paper and rub it all over to get out any bubble and to get the edges flat- after it all dries, paint with a few coats of Mod Podge.

Tell me- would you tape paper to a canvas and hang it up? Would you paint polka dots on a curtain and hang it up?

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I would probably do both. :-) That is my kind of creative decorating....lol.

Kimm at Reinvented said...

I would absolutely do that, and any other idea I can steal from you. :)

Rachel and Jacob said...

same colors as our bed room :)

i just bought some dark brown curtains since jake is moving to night shift. they are the sun blocking out kind....

i also got a matching duvet cover.... all from target... I might take pics on our home study day. cause everything will look so fabulous.

So blessed! said...

love your work!

samsmom said...

Thank you Sara for the decopauge instructions! I can't wait to try it!

Stephanie said...

I would do both too! Hope everyone gets well soon. Happy weekend!

Patty P said...

The polka dots are perfect. I love how you attack your projects. So fun!
Hey, I noticed from your older posts that you visited Eastern Canada. That's where I'm from!

gypsy@Hebrews11:13 said...

I would and have done both- the decoupaged surfaces and the painted fabric:) Your room looks great!!!!

Tammy said...

I would do both!! Love your room!

thedomesticfringe said...

You're not going to believe this, but I actually made curtains out of paper once. It came out really good too. I'm going to have to blog about it this week in order to show you pictures, because I think you'll be surprised. I'll let you know when I do that post!

-FringeGirl

Marjorie said...

I wish you lived closer! I need someone to help me with my bedroom. And I would do neither... I would ask a friend to help me and hold my hand while I did it!
looks great!!

Jessica said...

my mom is decoupaging her kitchen thanks to your inspiration. Check out my blog to see more.